• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian/Middle Eastern food in DC?

IsItSoupYet?

When ya'll have this orgy of Indian food and fabulous desserts, can I come? I'll provide comic relief, or something. And Suvir, yes, you have another home in Washington if you want it, I am sure. :wub:

It's not high-end creative Indian cuisine, but I adore Tiffin and Udupi Palace in Langley Park, MD, just down the road from my home in Takoma Park, MD. Udupi is all-vegetarian South Indian, while Tiffin has an omnivorous menu and sports a tandoor. They are owned by the same family; they also own a sister Udupi Palace restaurant in Chicago. Good places for the usual suspects of American Indian restaurant menus. Udupi's vegetarian dosai menu is especially impressive, and I love the onion kulcha and the aloo paratha at Tiffin. Both restaurants are popular with area Indian populations; they rely on Indians for at least half of their customer base. I've never had bad service in either restaurant, although I wouldn't call the service outstanding. We eat in one or the other at least once a month.

There's also a branch of Woodlands vegetarian in Langley Park, but it pales in comparison to Udupi. Far greasier and underspiced to boot.

I moved from New Jersey in 1995, so I have a feeling a lot of the restaurants I frequented back then are either in different hands or gone altogether. My favorite NYC Indian place was a tiny little place on 4th Street called Kebab and Kebab's that, alas, closed in the early nineties due to the death of the owner, Sanjoy. Sanjoy was a foodie to his soul and was a gracious host to boot, remembering names and faces and stories. One time some friends and I were in the Village on our way to another restaurant. Sanjoy must have seen me passing by, and obviously miffed that I didn't come in, literally screamed out the window, "PATRICIA (my maiden name)! YOU WILL COME AND EAT WITH ME NOW!!" As he was normally quite reserved, I took this to be a holy command, and my two friends lost their Indian food virginity that night. :biggrin:

Steve, Lebanese Taverna sounds wonderful--and definitely not pretentious. What I mean by pretentious is someplace where they care more about the food than the atmosphere, and that's rarely a problem in either Indian or Middle Eastern places (with the exception of NYC's notorious Indian tourist trap Nirvana)--at least not the ones I've been to.

As far as Richmond dining goes, now that the Frog and The Redneck is gone, the only place I keep hearing about is an Italian place in Oregon Hill called Mamma Zu. It's supposed to be excellent. There IS the Sunday brunch at the Jefferson Hotel which is very good, if a tad stuffy for my tastes. Other than that, it's Chain Hell--you can't even get good BBQ here.

Edited by IsItSoupYet? (log)

When ya'll have this orgy of Indian food and fabulous desserts, can I come? I'll provide comic relief, or something. And Suvir, yes, you have another home in Washington if you want it, I am sure.  :wub:

It's not high-end creative Indian cuisine, but I adore Tiffin and Udupi Palace in Langley Park, MD, just down the road from my home in Takoma Park, MD. Udupi is all-vegetarian South Indian, while Tiffin has an omnivorous menu and sports a tandoor. They are owned by the same family; they also own a sister Udupi Palace restaurant in Chicago. Good places for the usual suspects of American Indian restaurant menus. Udupi's vegetarian dosai menu is especially impressive, and I love the onion kulcha and the aloo paratha at Tiffin. Both restaurants are popular with area Indian populations; they rely on Indians for at least half of their customer base. I've never had bad service in either restaurant, although I wouldn't call the service outstanding. We eat in one or the other at least once a month.

There's also a branch of Woodlands vegetarian in Langley Park, but it pales in comparison to Udupi. Far greasier and underspiced to boot.

I would want to go with you to Udipi.

I am always happier eating Dosa and Southern Indian snacks when I eat Indian food outside.

Saves me the hassle of making them at home.

And I find them if done right, better prepared than Northern Indian food when it is prepared with care. Northern Indian food can be very complex (actually Southern Indian food is not any less complext, it helps that chefs preparing it are usually from the South, and have a very minimal understanding of their cuisine, even if they have never cooked before) and is not always prepared by those that grew up eating it.

And thanks for being so very kind about opening your home to me.:wub:

I wish Steve (and Chefette) would make the same offer. I would be happiest in their home.. for I could wake up at night and raid the refrigerator and pantry and nibble on sweet treats. :shock: But they are smart.. and know about me through my reputation.. Thus, he has abstained from showing any such kindness. :wink:

This sounds like a fun plan... I would love to come to DC and go to dinner.. taste several desserts.. and maybe have a Udipi brunch and then come back home to NYC.

I moved from New Jersey in 1995, so I have a feeling a lot of the restaurants I frequented back then are either in different hands or gone altogether.  My favorite NYC Indian place was a tiny little place on 4th Street called Kebab and Kebab's that, alas, closed in the early nineties due to the death of the owner, Sanjoy.  Sanjoy was a foodie to his soul and was a gracious host to boot, remembering names and faces and stories.  One time some friends and I were in the Village on our way to another restaurant.  Sanjoy must have seen me passing by, and obviously miffed that I didn't come in, literally screamed out the window, "PATRICIA (my maiden name)!  YOU WILL COME AND EAT WITH ME NOW!!"  As he was normally quite reserved, I took this to be a holy command, and my two friends lost their Indian food virginity that night.  :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing that. Very touching.

I second the recommendation of Lebanese Taverna. Excellent food. Not too pricey. Neighborhood feel. Can get crowded on weekends, and I have stood in the entry way waiting for a table many times, but you can order a drink, and the food and overall dining experience is well worth the wait.

There was a question about middle eastern food, wasn't there?

Oh yeah, I ate at Lebanese Taverna in DC/Woodley Park (which I think is their original location) Friday night. My esteemed partner and I shared several mezze as our meal. Ooh was it good. I was very excited that Lebanese Taverna opened a little fast-food outlet in Rockville, in the shopping center with Fresh Fields. I sometimes shop along the dreaded Rockville Pike and was delighted to discover the new quick eatery on a trip up that way with Edemuth a few months ago.

I think Skewers is alright if you want a middle eastern meal closer to Dupont Circle. I especially like their falafel salad, with raisins, pine nuts, and crisped bits of pita bread. I ate this at least once a week for over a year back in the day. Their kibbeh is tasty too. 17th and P Streets, NW, above Cafe Luna.

If you want a flashy, "scene-y" place to share mezze with friends, try Mezze in Adams-Morgan. Try to reserve a couch upstairs. The food's all right but the vibe and the martinis are better.

I'd avoid Fattoush in Georgetown.

There was a question about middle eastern food, wasn't there?

Oh yeah, I ate at Lebanese Taverna in DC/Woodley Park (which I think is their original location) Friday night. My esteemed partner and I shared several mezze as our meal. Ooh was it good. I was very excited that Lebanese Taverna opened a little fast-food outlet in Rockville, in the shopping center with Fresh Fields. I sometimes shop along the dreaded Rockville Pike and was delighted to discover the new quick eatery on a trip up that way with Edemuth a few months ago.

I think Skewers is alright if you want a middle eastern meal closer to Dupont Circle. I especially like their falafel salad, with raisins, pine nuts, and crisped bits of pita bread. I ate this at least once a week for over a year back in the day. Their kibbeh is tasty too. 17th and P Streets, NW, above Cafe Luna.

If you want a flashy, "scene-y" place to share mezze with friends, try Mezze in Adams-Morgan. Try to reserve a couch upstairs. The food's all right but the vibe and the martinis are better.

I'd avoid Fattoush in Georgetown.

Sounds yummy, I grew up in the Middle east and this bring back some wonderful memories, I must get out and try some of these places!!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 1 month later...

There is a place call Bombay Curry Company in a shopping center on Mount Vernon Ave in the northern part of DelRay in Alexandria. I've had consistently excellent Indian food there at very reasonable prices. The owner is always walking around checking in with the customers and will make recommendations and cook up things not on the menu if he knows you.

In Old Town Alexandria is a little place called the Pita House that makes great middle eastern pita wraps, dips, and bread. Super cheap-- especially for high rent Old Town.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

i like the Southern Indian take-out counter in the Old Post Office Pavilion for dosas and the like. I also like Delhi Dhaba in Arlington for cheaper-side fare.

I've always had good (and huge!) meals at Bombay Club for more upscale, the guy who runs the BC is also behind the Oval Room and Ardeo/Bardeo in Cleveland Park. Never a big fan of the Oval Room, but I've had two very good meals at Ardeo.

I live in Chicago now and my boyfriend and I go to Udupi Palace at least once a month. Really authentic (according to bf and his family) I prefer South Indian food to north, but I also like Tiffin. Always great service.

In DC, I adore Amma's Vegetarian Kitchen in Gtown on M around 31st/32nd. When my boyfriend and I lived in DC, going there on Saturday afternoon was a good substitution for my boyfriend's mother's food. I haven't been there in a while but the waiters came to know us and treated us royally. Had uneven service when it was packed but despite it all, never stopped us from returning.

Over Christmas, I saw that Aditya, Amma's sister restaurant on M also had closed. Never went there; heard mixed reviews. Bf and I went to Aroma occasionally- I would have to agree with Monica-it was okay.

Re Lebanese Taverna in DC/Woodley Park. Had a great meal; also sat next to Bob Kerrey and another senator I didn't recognize.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good meal at White Tiger on Capitol Hill yesterday. It has a casual atmosphere and mid-range prices.

Note that by eGullet standards I'm an Indian cuisine neophyte (I only really know the standards like Saag Paneer, Aloo Gobi, Naan, etc...). That being said, it stood up to my generally-tasty-even-though-I-am-not-an-expert-in-the-cuisine test.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree with Lebanese Taverna in Woodley Park. I would also like to add Mama Ayeesha on Calvert, which has wonderful Middle Eastern food...the ambiance is quaint, service friendly, and delicious food.

As for Indian, my favorite is Heritage, but I just tried Indique in Cleveland Park and walked away fairly happy. It's no Heritage, but the food was tastey and even a little creative - the veg samosa was well spiced but instead of serving in samosa shape, it was cut open with the filling on the bottom and the wrapper resting on top. The decor was hip but cozy, and service was good. There are a few kinks to be worked out - the sauce for the chicken tikka makhani was aromatic and flavorful, full of spices, wonderful with the naan, but the chicken itself was overcooked. I will certainly try this restaurant again in a few months and see how well they've done with those "kinks".

• 1 month later...
As for Indian, my favorite is Heritage, but I just tried Indique in Cleveland Park and walked away fairly happy. 

Resurrecting this topic...

Indique got a favorable review today in the Weekend Section of the Post. Has anyone else tried it? Elyhtak, have you been back?

With Bombay Bistro less than a mile away :wub: we don't need to go driving around for Indian food, but the review is good enough that we may have to give Indique a try. Perhaps on the way home from the Smithsonian kite festival next weekend...

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

If you're still reading this line of responses, my husband and I had a favorite hole in the wall in Crystal City, VA. We've moved to Michigan this year, and we are both still craving Kabob Palace take-out. It's behind a 7-11, and always looks a little sketchy, but the service is great, and the food was some of my favorite. The bone-in chicken kabob with the spicy rice and either the lentils or the chickpeas was my favorite.

This place was most assuredly not an overpriced, snobby DC hang out. Plus, the bread was bigger than your head--a full meal ran about $5.

Now I'm hungry.

• 1 month later...

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of trying a place that is worth talking about. My hubby and I tried Bombay Curry Company in Alexandria. To be totally honest, I was fully prepared for watered down cuisine and a unhelpful wait staff.

Happy to admit (and somewhat suprised) that I was wrong. This little gem serves up authentic Indian food.. sort of like mom's cooking from 5000 miles away. We tried the buffet and found it to have a lot of variety. The Chicken with black peppercorns was really a delight... spicy and hot, very flavorful. A treat was the Bottlegourd Pudding for dessert.. instead of the usual rice pudding.

A lot of the patrons seem to be regulars and I noticed them chatting with the owner, who was quite gracious

One interesting point, we went with our young son. THe wait staff immediately asked us if he would prefer a kids meal as opposed to the spicy food -- I was curious, so I said yes. He was treated to a plate of colorful vegetables, fries and chicken.. of couse he stole my naan.. I thought this was a nice touch for folks who want to try authentic Indian but are worried their kids might not have an interest in doing so

Prices are really cheap. An office lunch is around 4 bucks. Inexpensive home cooking..

All in all, we would definately try it again, this time for dinner.

BTW the address is

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Ave.

Calvert Building

Alexandria, VA

703-836-6363

Today I am off to try a lovely Burmese place just outside my office. Will write more after lunch

Edited by Monica Bhide (log)

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of trying a place that is worth talking about. My hubby and I tried Bombay Curry Company in Alexandria. To be totally honest, I was fully prepared for watered down cuisine and a unhelpful wait staff.

Happy to admit (and somewhat suprised) that I was wrong. This little gem serves up authentic Indian food.. sort of like mom's cooking from 5000 miles away. We tried the buffet and found it to have a lot of variety. The Chicken with black peppercorns was really a delight... spicy and hot, very flavorful. A treat was the Bottlegourd Pudding for dessert.. instead of the usual rice pudding.

A lot of the patrons seem to be regulars and I noticed them chatting with the owner, who was quite gracious

One interesting point, we went with our young son. THe wait staff immediately asked us if he would prefer a kids meal as opposed to the spicy food -- I was curious, so I said yes. He was treated to a plate of colroful vegetables, fries and chicken.. of couse he stole my naan..  I thought this was a nice touch for folks who want to try authentic Indian but are worried their kids might not have an interest in doing so

Prices are really cheap. An office lunch is around 4 bucks. Inexpensive home cooking..

BTW the address is

Bombay Curry Company 

3110 Mount Vernon Ave.

Calvert Building

Alexandria, VA

703-836-6363

Today I am off to try a lovely Burmese place just outside my office. Will write more after lunch

Told you so...

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

One interesting point, we went with our young son. THe wait staff immediately asked us if he would prefer a kids meal as opposed to the spicy food -- I was curious, so I said yes. He was treated to a plate of colroful vegetables, fries and chicken.. of couse he stole my naan..  I thought this was a nice touch for folks who want to try authentic Indian but are worried their kids might not have an interest in doing so

BTW the address is

Bombay Curry Company 

3110 Mount Vernon Ave.

Calvert Building

Alexandria, VA

703-836-6363

Told you so...

And Al Dente. I bow to your judgement!! It really was quite good!!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice