• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuoc mam cham with coconut juice

I was googling for the correct spelling of the standard Vietnamese dipping sauce and stumbled upon this recipe which calls for coconut juice. It strikes me as a logical and interesting idea when fresh coconuts abound. Has anyone used coconut juice in nuoc mam cham? I assume that by juice they mean the "water" from the center of the coconut.

I've never seen it used, and my wife is Vietnamese. It could be a north south thing. Her parents are from the south, in Saigon.

I know that Bun Cha, has a dipping sauce. It's pretty much just like Nuoc Cham, but it has something else in it I've been trying to find what it is. I was thinking that it could be Vietnamese Csramel Sauce, my Vietnamese Sister in-law seemed to agree. Maybe it's the coconut juice. I'll have to give that a try.