• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hard To Find Spirits

Boilerfood

Being from the midwest, and a strict LCB state, I have been on year long searches for things such as Lemon Hart 151 (I realize it was killed, and is now being revived...maybe) and Laird's Bonded. Mozart Dry also came to mind as something I read rave reviews about, but have never seen before. I have decided that anytime I actually do come across these, they are automatic buys. What have you been hunting for?

For some reason, high-proof Cognac, i.e. Force 53, is unavailable in New York City as far as I've found.

Of course, barrel-aged peach brandy, too. I have the Kutchan but I have to order it from K&L Wines in California, which requires a signature for delivery, which is a pain.

Roddy Rickhouse

Drinks Writer for Frontier Psychiatrist

http://frontpsych.com/

Whitley Neill gin, where have you gone? This was my fave at Astor Center's gin tasting a few years back.

50 ml bottles of Creme Yvette -- seriously, I like an Aviation as much as the next drinker, but not $42 much. St. Germain got with it, why can't Mr. Cooper help us out on this one, too?

Second on the peach brandy, by the way.

Edited by Yojimbo (log)

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

A good selection of interesting sherries - manzanillas, finos, old olorosos, palo cortados and not just the ones from the huge makers, sitting there gathering dust among the creams and pedro ximenez.

It's embarrassing what a tiny selection of sherries is available in this country compared to Europe.

50 ml bottles of Creme Yvette

This is a splendid idea. I wonder if the 50ml St Germains work to get you to buy a 750ml, but the 50ml of Creme Yvette might simply be a year's supply for some of us.

It did for me. I got the 50mL because of the hype, but couldnt bring myself to buy the 750. Needless to say, I was back the next day to get the big one :biggrin:

Bruichladdich. At least, can't find an affordable bottle.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Actually, it is "Ramazzotti" I left out one "z"

Yes - It is different. Very smooth. A very nice (but not spicy) finish which highlights the Anise flavour. Not a harsh alcoholic after-burn.

Molinari is the only other decent Sambucca available, which is good, but spicier than Ramazzotti.

Sambucca Ramazotti. How I miss that stuff.

I've seen it for sale at Amato's here in Sydney, quite recently too. I'm sure it's gettable in Melbourne, maybe ask around some of the Italian specialty shops? Let me know if you don't have any luck and are really keen, I can ask around some of my more liquored-up friends down there. :wink:

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

• 10 months later...

It may sound dumb... but **ANY** Rye whiskey... nowhere to find in Brazil

Seconded for Ecuador! I miss my Canadian Club..... Maybe my Auntie will be very kind and bring me a bottle when she visits this October....

(hope hope hope...)

Also any single-malt Scotch whiskey, but particularly Oban 12.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Those were two separate statements, actually.

ETA - however, CC is primarily a Rye based whiskey with a bit of corn and barley in it to give it character, at least according to the Wikipedia.....

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Oh, there's definitely rye in it, but from what I understand, most of their bottlings are primarily corn, with some rye and barley for character. Either way, I'm sure that doesn't stop you from missing it!

ETA: Er... "some rye and barley for the character of those grains," I mean. Corn can have plenty of character all on its own.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Crème de Rose (such as Crispin's made at Germain Robin's distillery. I have gone so far as to contact the distiller and am willing to pay the $85 for the 375mL). Essential for many of the drinks in William Schmidt's The Flowing Bowl.

Barrel-aged peach brandy (as was stated above) would be glorious. I did get to taste one at Tales of the Cocktail a few months back which makes me want my own bottle even more.

A good selection of interesting sherries - manzanillas, finos, old olorosos, palo cortados and not just the ones from the huge makers, sitting there gathering dust among the creams and pedro ximenez.

It's embarrassing what a tiny selection of sherries is available in this country compared to Europe.

Patrick, when I was in NYC two or 3 years ago I found a really good selection of sherry at PJ Wines in Harlem (4898 Broadway, New York, NY 10034) and last summer visited Tinto Fino (85 1st Ave # A 10003-2937)who have a great selection as well (very good Spanish table wine from small producers too - check out the wines of Basilio Izquierdo - fantastic!)

Canada, on the other hand, basically only has Gonzallez Byaz and Alvear though not bad wines there are many better. To that end a friend and I are starting a company to import sherry to our local market - including two wines that Decanter voted best fortified wines of the world! (hopefully give us a good reason for 'research' trips to Andalusia!

Llyn

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada