• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where to stay in the midlands

I was hoping to stay at Mr Underhills but its fully booked. (there's nothing on here on this restaurant...does it come recommended?)

I am looking for inspiration for a weekend without kids for my birthday. Somewhere within a 50 mile radius of Coventry, country-house-style (or luxurious pub).

Any ideas?

ta

We stayed at The Old Mill Shipston on Stour (28 miles, I think, from Coventry)last week - it was great- and those that know me on here know I don't often say that about a place!

It is a luxurious pub. It has been compleatly refurbished in the last year and the decor is upmarket and very tasteful. They upgraded us to one of the best rooms as we were the only ones staying.

Ashley James cooking is some of the best I have eaten in a long while, better than a lot of Michelin star places I have been to recently. It is excellent value.

I have some photos of the main course on other computer - I will post them shortly.

Edited by Pam Brunning (log)

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

My link

These are the only photos I took as I was off duty that night!

Both the main courses roast rump and wild duck with foie gras were excellent as was the rest of the meal with all the trimmings including good bread. Full English breakfast was good as well.

It is a small town with plenty of small shops too.

100_1215.JPG

100_1217.JPG

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

A few places that spring to mind.

The Crown at Whitebrook

Kingham Plough

The Walnut Tree

Simpsons in Birmingham got a nice write up

Sat Bains

Whatley Manor

Lords of the manor

Lucknam park

Le Manoir

Martin

I've been to Mr Underhills and it was excellent and good value because it was a no-choice menu - not sure if that's still what they do, and can't comment on whether standards are still high, as it was many years ago that we went. Reviews seem to have been consistently positive over the years.

Not sure of the distance from Coventry - it might be a bit more than 50 miles, but is it worth trying the accommodation attached the the Olive Branch in Clipsham?

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd bring a bit of closure to this thread.

After much research I abandoned the Midlands idea and decided to stay down south.

We are booked for the The Crown Inn in Chiddingfold in Surrey, which won Conde Nast Most Excellent Inn of 2010 award.

Looks nice - I'll let you know how we get on in a few weeks.

If you can afford it Hambleton Hall, just outside Oakham, probably makes just inside a fifty mile radius of Coventry. Very old school country house hotel luxury, but the food is modern enough - and fantastic.

I agree- we lunched there on the way back from Bray a couple of weeks ago. Fabulous location and luckily the weather was just beautiful, meaning we could enjoy an aperitif outside on the terrace. Excellent canapes- who knew, I like goats cheese and mango paired together and the little nugget of foie gras parfait was delicious. Sadly my first course was below par. Duck served cold three ways, but with an ill judged orange foam that was far too acidic and which destroyed the subtle flavour of the duck. The Moo cow faired much better with a canneloni of squid paired with chorizo underneath which was a "risotto" of squid. This was actually tiny little pearls of squid cooked quite beautifully. We both opted for the veal served with an exquisite sweetbread ravioli,the pasta being as thin as Kylie's pants. The reduction served with it was a thing of joy too and the Saint Aubin, for about 30 squidlies, knocked the Puligny Montrachet in Bray the night before, out of the park and was about a quarter of the bloody price. Service from Graeme Matheson and team is charm personified too, such that the Missus wants to go back for a big birthday next year- along with family. I would say how old but I would rather like to keep my testicles. I'll root out a couple of photos of the food and place if it's not too difficult to upload.