• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2011–2014

roygon

Vacmaster vp215 and it's ilk? it's 86 lbs. I guess that's the only down side (if you have a home for it that doesn't require movement it seems like a fine one, and rotuts bought one)

Unless you have both copious counter space and a high tolerance for mechanical kitchen clutter, you'll want to move it from storage to kitchen and back again on a regular basis, and its heft makes that a tall order. I use a heavy duty cart I found at a yard sale to roll it around (it also houses our Hobart meat slicer, which has similar issues).

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

so MVS-35XP vs Vacmaster vp215

The MVS-35XP (if you get it without the printer) has an LCD display and programmable options etc.

The Vacmaster just has a gauge and requires more manual control.

So for the extra $ you're getting more ease of use and more complexity? Better components / build quality - or not? Niche high end cooking gear is stupid expensive.

I normally shy away from programmable stuff - but my new Thermadore Steam Oven has a ton of preprogrammed stuff and so far it's worked stupid well.

Any up to date feed back on the day to day use of VP215 or MVS-35XP?

Vacmaster vp215 and it's ilk? it's 86 lbs. I guess that's the only down side (if you have a home for it that doesn't require movement it seems like a fine one, and rotuts bought one)

Unless you have both copious counter space and a high tolerance for mechanical kitchen clutter, you'll want to move it from storage to kitchen and back again on a regular basis, and its heft makes that a tall order. I use a heavy duty cart I found at a yard sale to roll it around (it also houses our Hobart meat slicer, which has similar issues).

My kitchen is too small, this would likely end up on a cart in an adjacent room or on or at the end of a row of counters we put into the dining room. (The microwave already doesn't fit in the kitchen unless we put it on a counter which isn't happening, it's stuck in the dinning room on a cart- steam oven took it's spot.)

If it's an oil pump do you roll it around? I would expect it should be ok if you're careful.

I wouldn't want to move the VP215 around.

I found a permanent place for it in my little 8' x 12' kitchen. It's footprint is 13" x 19."

If you're not going to use a chamber sealer enough to keep it handy, it may not be the best choice for you.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I wouldn't want to move the VP215 around.

I found a permanent place for it in my little 8' x 12' kitchen. It's footprint is 13" x 19."

If you're not going to use a chamber sealer enough to keep it handy, it may not be the best choice for you.

My rice cooker is also living on the counter in the dining room and we use it right there - our kitchen is smaller then 8'x12' :(

The food processor lives out there too in a cabinet - and we use it plenty. So I'm not too worried about location. A chamber vacuum sealer would have to be more like the rice maker - used in place or put on a cart that can be rolled around.

Hi Everybody!

i'm new here and this is my first post - i've been searching for info and technique on using/fine tuning settings on my new chamber vac. The manual has a glossary of terms but no examples of application. i was hoping someone here would understand my machines settings options and could explain how they effect the product being vacced.

My machine is a Multivac C100 and the settings tree is as follows:

Each setting has a value bar that I can increase or decrease but with so many combinations of settings it's a bit overwhelming!

Evacuate Settings:

• Distribution Time
  • Automatic (needs no explanation)
  • Procedure (Standard/MCV)
  • MCV Threshhold
  • MCV Period

Sealing Settings:

• Sealing (On/Off)
  • Ventilation Delay
  • Cool off

Basic Settings:

• (the first is a blank line - not sure why)
  • Fill diaphragm
  • Ventilate Diaphragm

Any help would be much appreciated so thank you in advance

Any up to date feed back on the day to day use of VP215 or MVS-35XP?

Well, I love my 35XP. The sealing mechanism is very reliable, the pump is very fast, and I really like being able to set what vacuum level I want instead of riding the "stop" button. I'm even planning on getting the nitrogen injection system later this year, so I can do "pillow packs" and seal soft items.

I have only found one wart on it so far. Sometimes, the display will go blank, or half-blank, requiring a reboot. The machine still works but you will have a hard time changing any settings if the display freaks out. I've been in touch with tech support, and they have advised me to take the top off the machine and re-set the computer cables inside. I haven't done that yet because I am still looking for a pattern of misbehavior--I suspect this is a software bug and not a hardware problem.

Anyway, even with that problem, I'd do it again. I am really glad I popped for the more capable machine and I do use a lot of the advanced settings.

I have the Vacmaster VP215. It was with "heart in mouth" that I made space for it on my kitchen counter. I wasn't sure how much I would use it. I have to say that having had it now for 7 or 8 months, I use it all the time, far more than I would've predicted. I haven't yet had to change the oil, but might do so soon, just for preventive maintenance. It doesn't look difficult and does not require me to remove the "beast" from the counter. I merely have to rotate it in place to have access to the rear panel.

It is easy to use. I don't know that I have all the technical aspects of how much vacuum to pull for various food products, but it appears to work very well and has been 100% reliable.

Judy

• Like 1

I continued to get inconsistent seals so I went ahead and got an exchange from Amazon. I received the replacement today.

The good news:

The new one made a perfect seal the first time and every subsequent time I've tried it; two perfect lines with no gaps in between. Glad to know it wasn't my technique and that there really was something funny going on with the first machine.

The bad news:

The machine doesn't pull a vacuum unless I push down on the front part of the lid pretty hard to get it started. Also, it arrived without that top seal bar pushing thing installed to the lid; it was just lying inside and I had to put it together.

Sigh. The quality control of ARY is really not up to par. I'm going to send the second machine back, but I don't know if I should try to get a third unit (third time's a charm?) or just give up on ARY, and maybe see what the reviews on the new Polyscience 300 series unit is like once people start getting it. (Though that one is quite a bit more expensive, and since it's a newer product I bet it's going to have some first-run problems as well.)

Any suggestions? And thanks for all your help so far.

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses. SleeperService, the price at amazon and webstaurant is the same ($549), though I had to pay taxes for the amazon. I knew it'd be slightly cheaper with Webstaurant, but went with Amazon anyway because of a) free 2-day shipping with amazon prime, and b) I've always had very easy returns/exchanges with Amazon when I've had problems...

Anyway, I've been trying a bunch more today. But I still have weird problems. Let me show you. I am using the vacmaster 8 x 10 bags here as I bought a case of them.

The bad news:

The machine doesn't pull a vacuum unless I push down on the front part of the lid pretty hard to get it started.

That's been the case with my VP112 from day one: I have to lean onto the cover a bit to get the seal set. Doesn't really bother me.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Call ARY and ask for Gary.

I had to make an adjustment to the hinges on my VP215 for nearly the same reason...it works great now!!!

Hopefully your machine is also adjustable.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The bad news:

The machine doesn't pull a vacuum unless I push down on the front part of the lid pretty hard to get it started.

That's been the case with my VP112 from day one: I have to lean onto the cover a bit to get the seal set. Doesn't really bother me.

you'd have to do that on the bigger ones, since that's how they start ;) that said, my vp112 doesn't need any leaning, but I carefully cleaned the lid and the seal, and vacuum builds with no delay

The bad news:

The machine doesn't pull a vacuum unless I push down on the front part of the lid pretty hard to get it started. Also, it arrived without that top seal bar pushing thing installed to the lid; it was just lying inside and I had to put it together.

Sigh. The quality control of ARY is really not up to par. I'm going to send the second machine back, but I don't know if I should try to get a third unit (third time's a charm?) or just give up on ARY, and maybe see what the reviews on the new Polyscience 300 series unit is like once people start getting it. (Though that one is quite a bit more expensive, and since it's a newer product I bet it's going to have some first-run problems as well.)

sounds more like a 'jarred loose in shipping' as opposed to a 'poor quality control issue' to me. as to the lid not sealing on it's own, check that it's nice and clean, and the gasket is nice and clean, and that you did get the top seal pad in place properly, so that there's plenty of space between it and the pop up seal bar. and call Gary if that doesn't fix it.

I love mine, perhaps you were bad in a previous life ;)

The bad news:

sounds more like a 'jarred loose in shipping' as opposed to a 'poor quality control issue' to me. as to the lid not sealing on it's own, check that it's nice and clean, and the gasket is nice and clean, and that you did get the top seal pad in place properly, so that there's plenty of space between it and the pop up seal bar. and call Gary if that doesn't fix it.

I love mine, perhaps you were bad in a previous life ;)

Maybe quality assurance is a better word rather than quality control. It couldn't have been jarred loose because it needed to be screwed in; the screws were screwed into the lid, the bar was lying on the bottom. In the first one I had, one of the hinges was not screwed in. Clearly these were oversights by whoever was the last person to check everything before packing. Either way, it is not confidence inspiring; nor are my unreturned emails that I sent with photos and videos.

It is not a minor lean that I put on it; I have to push down with quite a bit of weight to get it going -- I'd say i push down about 50 pounds of pressure -- and only on the very front of the lid, pushing on the handles does not work. In fact, I can only get enough leverage when it is on the floor; if it is on a table, I am unable to push down hard enough. So this will certainly not be an option in the long haul, nor do I feel confident about the lid holding up to this as the lid has already been documented to fail before other parts.

Anyway, I'll clean off the gasket and take a look at the pads and stuff and give Gary a call. I'm glad you and Chris are having such success with yours (and in fact, Chris's review here was key to my deciding on the unit) , but either because I was bad in a previous life or otherwise, I've not had great luck thus far. Too bad I already sent back the first one, or I'd swap the lids, and I'd have one fully functional unit!

Edited by kindofgreat (log)

It is not a minor lean that I put on it; I have to push down with quite a bit of weight to get it going -- I'd say i push down about 50 pounds of pressure -- and only on the very front of the lid, pushing on the handles does not work. In fact, I can only get enough leverage when it is on the floor; if it is on a table, I am unable to push down hard enough. So this will certainly not be an option in the long haul, nor do I feel confident about the lid holding up to this as the lid has already been documented to fail before other parts.

Anyway, I'll clean off the gasket and take a look at the pads and stuff and give Gary a call. I'm glad you and Chris are having such success with yours (and in fact, Chris's review here was key to my deciding on the unit) , but either because I was bad in a previous life or otherwise, I've not had great luck thus far. Too bad I already sent back the first one, or I'd swap the lids, and I'd have one fully functional unit!

that is definitely bad, mine doesn't require any pressure at all to start sealing. Hopefully you can get in touch with that Gary guy, (who I've never needed to talk to) and he can get you sorted out.

I'm sorry you're having such problems with it.

Was at the Canadian Food and Restaurant Association show today and had a look at the new VP115.  Nice looking piece of kit - looks more like a 'proper' chamber vac than the VP112 and apparently doesn't have the lid problems.  The show special had it at $100 off too.  

Link

[This topic continues here: Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2014–]

Edited by Mjx
Host note added. (log)