• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chamber Vacuum Sealers, 2011–2014

roygon

I have a Henkelman Boxer 35 being delivered tomorrow. Let me know if there are any "experiments" you would like me to try out, and I would be happy to do so and report my findings! Going to be a fun couple weeks :-)

Reading the owners manual now, and I quote: "Henkelman BV wishes the customer lots of pleasure for an extended period from the purchase of this machine." Either that is dutch translated to english by an non-native english speaker, or this machine has some features I was previously unaware of.

Orem, Utah

• 2 months later...

Would anyone happen to know what the pump is in an Orved 315VM8? I've been looking for a while to get a machine that has something better than a DVP pump in it and thought this might fit the bill. If not I might have to revert back to thinking about a MVS31x or a VP215.

• 4 months later...

I’ve become interested in the Henkelman Lynx 32 since this thread alerted me to its existence. I really like the printer and the option for H2O sensor. It would be great to be able to let the machine stop automatically when boiling is detected and print a sticker for my stock portions. I'm also interested in how the USB interface works and what data can be gathered from it.

I live in Sydney, Australia so I've written to sousvideaustralia.com who distribute other Henkelman products to see if they will be available here. I will post on any pertinent details.

Edited by bhsimon (log)

Is the VacMaster VP215 or VP210 large enough to seal a whole brisket or prime rib? Are any other chamber vacuum sealers large enough to do it?

I can't say about the Vacmasters, but I do have a whole brisket in the freezer, sealed with my 35XP.

But remember, the next time you need to vacuum seal say an entire giraffe, it is easily done with either a FoodSaver or a chamber vacuum -- all that you have to do is to trim the meat so that its diameter will fit within the largest bag roll you have, and then use the vacuum in reverse, i.e., with the object that your are sealing on the outside, rather than the inside. So rifles, shotguns, etc., can easily be sealed before going on a hunting trip.

The only thing to remember is that this trick only works with the embossed style bags or rolls, e.g., those sold by FoodSaver. This is because you have to suck out the air while the lid on the chamber vacuum is closed, prior to sealing it. The flat bags normally used for chamber vacuums won't work, because they don't have any air channels, and the vacuum will pull the lid down too hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my first issue with my Vacmaster VP112. 2 weeks ago I started noticing that the bags I was sealing were not as "tight" as they used to be. The problem worsened and last weekend my machine became unusable. I tried to seal a pork tenderloin and the bag was still full of air but sealed. I called ARY and spoke to a very helpful gentleman named Gary (struck me funny for some reason.) Gary gave me a quick and easy test to determine if there was a crack in the lid (easy) or if there was an issue with the pump (not so much).

Turns out the lid was the issue and they have sent out a replacement. I am a bit concerned; I have had the machine for 10 months (1yr warranty) it never gets moved from its spot on the counter top and has never had anything dropped on it. I fear that replacing the lid may be a frequent issue and with 2 months left on the warranty my expense.

Customer service was excellent and I am happy with the experience but I am left with a bit of anxiety over the lid construction.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has seen this issue also.

I rarely use mine, only when liquids are involved. Otherwise I use my foodsaver which sits on the counter. So I'll have very low miles on mine over time and way past the warranty. Would hate to be without it when I need it.

Charcuterer, was this a manufacturing defect in your lid perhaps? How did you determine it was the lid or the pump?

Don't know the source of the problem but with it's gentle treatment I would suspect a manufacturing defect or (I hate to say it) poor design. To test whether it is the lid or pump, you open the lid and put your hand over the chrome nut at the back of the unit covering all three holes (I used two hands to insure a good seal) and have someone start the machine. If the gauge moves up to the -70 or -75 level quickly and stays there the problem is in the chamber (most likely the lid) if it moves slowly and/or doesn't go all the way up it is the pump. (Don't worry, other than little dimples on your fingers it doesn't hurt to do.)

Hi All,

Long time lurker/reader here, but just recently joined the forum. I have immensely enjoyed the professional atmosphere and the incredible wealth of information here!

I have kept my eye out the last while for a chamber vacuum machine with a Busch oil pump. You guys are right on when recommending a Busch pump. Professionally my company has a 10hp Busch on a large CNC router similar to this one. At about 500 lbs and ~$9000 it is a tiny bit oversized for Sous Vide. :-)

Mine will be strictly for hobbyist use. (I LOVE nice equipment, no matter what type...)

I am looking for some feedback on the following:

1) New vs Used. I have looked at both new and used systems and wonder what the opinion is on used.

a) My issues with used are not really knowing how the machine was used - electronics production line 24/7, fishing boat, etc.

b) Do any of the machines have a cycle count in the software or maybe an hour meter? Other than the general condition, it is hard to "see how many miles she has on her."

c) At what age do the seals and gaskets begin to deteriorate and need replacement?

d) Price. It seems that most used machines with a Busch pump go for around $1500 compared to ~$2500 new (for the lowest cost unit with a Busch) A new pump alone would cost around $700 or so and with the possibility of a cracked dome or other repairs needed. So I'm struggling to justify the used unit.

2) If a new vac sealer, how should I compare different manufacturers? Once you filter the units that use a Busch oil pump, it seems that most have about the same capabilities, with the difference being chamber size and speed (size of pump) I don't really need a printer or dual seal bars. I've looked at Minipack, Koch Ultravac and VacMaster. How would you rank these three or should I consider others? I prefer USA made, but also love European equipment (usually more $$$)

I appreciate any and all comments. I've read through most of the threads and have seen bits and pieces of info, but no all encompassing guide with an independent viewpoint.

Thanks!

Edited by Nowayout (log)

Minipack Torre MVS45x Chamber Vacuum,  3- PolyScience/VWR 1122s Sous Vide Circulators,  Solaire Infrared grill (unparalleled sear)  Thermapen (green of course - for accuracy!)  Musso 5030 Ice cream machine, Ankarsrum Mixer, Memphis Pro Pellet Grill, Home grown refrigerated cold smoker (ala Smoke Daddy). Blackstone Pizza Grill,  Taylor 430 Slush machine. 

I don't know that I can answer your questions particularly - but I picked up a used chamber vac with a Busch pump for $800 from Kijiji. It had been used in a small deli - probably not used too hard. Sucker was filthy - needed a good clean, hubby gave the pump the once over and I purchased some pump oil from Busch to replace what was drained out.

Nothing fancy but works well.

A quick update on my VP112 with the bad lid. I got a package from ARY Vacmaster on Friday and it was a super easy job to swap out old for new. After running the machine a few times I realize that the problem has been there since almost new. As good as the unit was before it is better now. The bags are very tight. I looked at the old lid and can't find a crack or see how Plexiglas that thick could crack without a major strike. Then I noticed the mounting screws. The are covered with a (conjecture) silicone sealant that must have failed. I'm feeling better about the machine knowing that there was a simple materials failure and that It could be fixed.

Can you take a photo of those mounting screws? I'm starting to wonder if my issues -- the chamber lid requiring a push downward to establish a seal at the start of the vacuum process and, increasingly now, a stiff lid removal mechanism -- are related....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally retired my old suction vacuum sealer and purchased a Sammic 310s. I am excited to see so much knowledge and experience in this forum. I hope I can contribute in some small way. Looking forward to the discussions.

Ron Reynolds

• 2 weeks later...

The info on this thread has been simply amazing. I can't thank everyone enough for making my decision on a chamber sealer just a tad bit easier. After reading this thread (probably twice) and budgeting I think I am sold on a VP215 -- I feel like it will be the right fit for what I want to do as an at home cook. Besides what is contained in previous posts, are there are any VP215 (or VP210) owners that have any major objections and regrets? Thanks again.

Dan

Not only do I have no regrets, but even my better half admits that this "gadget" has become indispensable in our household -- quite a feat given the price tag and the eye-rolling I have gotten from people who wonder why in the world we got it. Like the SV Supreme and the BlendTec, it has seamlessly found a place in our family routine, not because it's "high-end" but because it is incredibly useful.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I am glad to hear it -- I feel like some things are pure frivolity cooking/eating wise for the at home chef (see: PacoJet or perhaps a Champagne Sabre) but this chamber sealer will, without a doubt enhance my family's enjoyment of life through better cooking....plus I get to do all of the fun things I have wanted to do for years and couldn't (without extreme frustration that is). I actually think its worth it for the ability to easily make sous vide scrambled eggs whenever I want now -- I had a fight with my vacuum sealer every time I tried before. I'll let everyone know when I pull the trigger!

Dan

It appears that the VP-215 cycles a bit faster than the VP-210.

Is there any other difference?

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It would definitely be a positive if you're sealing several bags per session, but if that's the only difference, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for the small batches I'd be bagging most of the time.

The reviews are largely positive, but I'm not sure they're useful in determining how well the machines will perform in the long run. I have a feeling that most folks post their reviews shortly after receiving their units, while still very excited about their new purchase. What about 5 years or 10 years down the road?

One commenter on youtube complained that the pump burned out after just 8 months of use, hopefully that's just an isolated incident!

This place has the VP-210 for just $859, with free shipping. The VP-215 is just $90 more.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It appears that the VP-215 cycles a bit faster than the VP-210. Is there any other difference?

The VP-215 has an oil pump. Better but more maintenance. (It's on my short list along with the MiniPack-MVS-20 which is more expensive.)

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."