• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanuts I have loved and eaten

Fat Guy

3 hours ago, kayb said:

I have once again driven through southern Mississippi and Alabama without feeling the slightest urge to stop by any of the roadside markets and get boiled peanuts. I tried them once; a taste was sufficient to last me for the rest of my life.

I share yor distaste for boiled peanuts. In fact, it goes far beyong mere distate. Horriblle things in every way. They are very common round here but I never, ever eat them. Roasted, baked or fried, I love.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I love boiled peanuts and got a good laugh when trendy restaurants started serving boiled edamame as an upscale bar snack to people who would have turned up their noses at the idea of boiled peanuts.  

Exactly my thought - so similar to edamame.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I love edamame and I love boiled peanuts. One would never sub for the other, but either one makes an excellent app with a Blloody Mary or a G &T.  In the summer whenever fresh edamame appears at the farmers' market I go for it. Most of the time I'm happy with the frozen kind that takes about 5 minutes to cook. As for the boiled peanuts, I've tasted them once in the south and find that the ones I make at home in the Bay Area are good or better. @kaybmentions opportunities to buy them at roadside stands recently. I thought they were seasonal, since you wanted nice fresh peanuts for boiling, which are available in the autumn when the harvest happens.

The first time I bought raw peanuts was in Atlanta; they were plump and fresh and came in a giant barrel and had lots of takers. We didn't have time to cook them as it turned out, and our next stop was my mother's in NY. We took them on the plane, shoved them in her fridge, and then a couple of days later we boiled them. My mother was horrified and thought we were insane.  But keep in mind my mother had some great street food available in her neighborhood but never tried any of it. 

Got myself a kilo of red mud peanuts today out of respect for this topic. 2X500 kg bags

673978602_redmudpeanuts.thumb.jpg.7bc2884e7ea5aa2a48b06e10f6a8d233.jpg

P.S. I love edamame or as we call them round here, 毛豆 (máo dòu, literally hairy beans), but I don't see any similarity with peanuts other than both being boiled, but so are eggs and potatoes!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The esteemed Fuchsia Dunlop has a nice recipe for boiled peanuts in Land of Plenty (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).

IMG_6834.thumb.jpeg.a7faca21084925aa97a38602435ac70e.jpeg

And in the first Szechwan cookbook I bought...

IMG_6835.thumb.jpeg.5431b356f4272bac1f4e11a007322da4.jpeg

Mrs. Chiang's Szechwan Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). (Though I have the first edition).

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 4 months later...

Walking thru Chinatown (née the lower east side) today, I came across these...

IMG_7904.thumb.jpeg.c7429bb5f9f5cdb0084a00fc22344bf1.jpeg

They appeared to only have these large quantities, though this was only at one stop, and I didn't peruse further.

2012148761_IMG_7904(1).thumb.jpeg.3f1ecad74f14e7f52e667b65b5412e41.jpeg

Interesting to me how short their shelf life is (as printed on the bag) at room temp. Not that much longer at fridge temp either.

I imagine that once salt boiled, they last for quite a while longer in the fridge.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

44 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Walking thru Chinatown (née the lower east side) today, I came across these...

IMG_7904.thumb.jpeg.c7429bb5f9f5cdb0084a00fc22344bf1.jpeg

They appeared to only have these large quantities, though this was only at one stop, and I didn't peruse further.

2012148761_IMG_7904(1).thumb.jpeg.3f1ecad74f14e7f52e667b65b5412e41.jpeg

Interesting to me how short their shelf life is (as printed on the bag) at room temp. Not that much longer at fridge temp either.

I imagine that once salt boiled, they last for quite a while longer in the fridge.

Those look really nice. In my experience the fresher the better for boiling peanuts. Which is why they are seasonal, And I don't think they last well beyond two or three days in the fridge after boiling. Here in the bay area some of the farmers' markets have fresh ones this time of year. A lot of the vendors who grow and sell peanuts around here seem to be Asian.