• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Spirit Rotation

PetersCreek

For a little variety, I generally keep 3-to-5 whiskies open at any given time. The current line-up includes:

Lagavulin 16 SMSW — I discovered scotch (or it, me) about 7 years ago and it didn't take me long to fall in love with the "peat monsters". This is one of my go-to malts...one I keep coming back to. It doesn't hurt that my local dealer offers it on sale regularly. Smokey, peaty goodness.

Talisker 10 SMSW — I think Talisker was the second strongly peated malt I purchased, partly due to it's reputation but also because it was a relative bargain compared to Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and the like. It's been a while since my last bottle but I recently picke this one up when it was also offered on sale. In addition to it's forward peatiness, I also like it's sharp medicinal quality.

Parker's Heritage Collection Cask Strength KSBW — My first bottle of this was an impulse buy. I spotted it while window shopping the "jewel case" at my local dealer. It's comparatively moderate price didn't explain why it was there so I decided to take it home and find out what other qualities put it behind locked glass. As it turned out, it was there just because it's rarely seen up here but it stands apart from those on the shelf all the same. It's rich, buttery, and far smoother than its proof number suggests.

Jameson 18 Limited Reserve Irish Whiskey — Jameson is my drink of choice when enjoying a night at my American Legion post. The bourbon and scotch selection there is pretty run of the mill and for some reason, I gravitated to Jameson as something different. The 18-year-old was another unresearched impulse buy. I rarely keep the brand at home and thought, why not try one of the nicer expressions? A nicer one it is.

Pendelton blended Canadian Whiskey — I only buy Pendleton around Thanksgiving and Christmas time. Its subtle notes of cinnamon and nutmeg says "Holidays!" to me and this bottle is an almost-gone leftover.

So, what's in your stable and why?

Gin: Tanqueray is my summer drink of choice.

Cognacs: yet to settle on one--I tend to buy something different each time.

Whisky: I like a few, but my go-to whisky is Talisker 10

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

And are you asking just about whisk(e)y?

That would be a key clarification... As it happens, I took advantage of a particularly dreary Sunday yesterday to take a wine & liquor inventory of the house. Currently we over 100 open bottles of the latter (not including non-potable bitters).

However, it sounds like we're talking whisk(e)y, and perhaps just sippers...maybe diluted but not for cocktail application, in any case.

Under those assumptions, my current favorites would have to be:

Scotch - Balvenie "Port Wood" 21 year - My favorite Scotch by a mile, but the price has more than doubled since I last had to buy it (stocked up for my wedding 5 years ago), so who knows what I'll do when I run out later this year. I might have to go back to the Doublewood, a mighty fine dram in its own right.

Rye - Rittenhouse Very Rare 25 year - A relatively new acquisition, which I'm still trying to get my head around. It may just be from a strange barrel, but if I had tasted it blind the first time, I'd have sworn it was Scotch. There are not a lot of other ryes I enjoy straight, however there are many that I love in an Old Fashioned.

Bourbon - George T. Stagg (2009 bottling) - A powerhouse of a pour...there's nothing else quite as versatile. Depending on how much it's cut it can go from a punch in the face to a lullaby. If I don't feel like mucking around with water I tend to grab the Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch.

I don't tend to keep Irish or Canadian Whiskey around, but part of the reason for the former may be how quickly the Midleton disappears when it does make an appearance.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

As far as sippers go, here's what I currently have open:

Ardbeg 10yr -- Smoky and delicious. I like it slightly better than Talisker.

High West Bourye -- I just got this bottle last week. It's a blend of a 10yr Bourbon and two Ryes -- 12yr and 16yr. It's really delicious. (Their Rendezvous Rye, by the way, is my hands-down favorite Sazerac rye)

Compass Box Spice Tree -- Rich. A buttery, vanilla finish after the swallow, followed by a slight spice aftertaste. A really great whiskey.

Eagle Rare 10yr -- The best bargain in Bourbon. Also makes my favorite Old Fashioned.

Compass Box Flaming Heart 2010 -- This is the most incredible whiskey of any kind that I've ever tasted. It's a blend of 61% Highland Single-malt and 39% Islay single-malt, re-barreled and aged some more. I had the good fortune to be at my local liquor store when a rep from Compass Box was doing a free tasting of their entire line. He had this bottle under the shelf, but couldn't resist showing it off (and pouring a sample) for me and the other person tasting alongside me. The two of us bought the (only) two bottles of it that had been allocated to the store.

I'm not sure if this was meant to be whiskey-only either, so I'm including two other favorite sippers of mine:

El Dorado 15yr Demerara Rum -- I've tried many other aged rums, but none have the complexity of this. It's rich, but not overly sweet.

Herradura Anejo Tequila -- I wouldn't have guessed (even a few months ago) that there was such thing as a Tequila to sip and savor, but this is definitely one.

Dan

You can get Talisker for less than Laphroaig?

And are you asking just about whisk(e)y?

At the time I purchased my first bottle, yes, the Talisker was the less costly of the two. These days, they're pretty competetively priced.

And no, everyone should feel free to list their line-up whether it's strictly whisky, strictly whiskey, strictly something else, or an assortment.

Rye - Rittenhouse Very Rare 25 year - A relatively new acquisition, which I'm still trying to get my head around. It may just be from a strange barrel, but if I had tasted it blind the first time, I'd have sworn it was Scotch. There are not a lot of other ryes I enjoy straight, however there are many that I love in an Old Fashioned.

I'm intriqued by this one. I've only recently started exploring rye whiskey but to date I've had only three: Jim Beam, Old Overholt, and ri(1). I'd like to try the upper levels but choices here can be rather limited and with typical express shipping charges, you've really got to want something.

Well I'll just do whisk(e)y--can always go through other spirits later.

Scotch, sipping category

Balvenie DoubleWood - On sale for a non-murderous price at one of my local stores. Ultra-mellow, honeyed pour.

Glenfarclas 12 - Scored a bottle at the New Hampshire state liquor store for 15 bucks less than I see it in MA. Supposedly made in the classic Highland style (my scotch knowledge is poor!); in any event I like it and I'm a sucker for an attractive label.

Ardbeg Nam Beist - A holiday bonus present to self. Barely cracked this bottle.

Scotch, mixing

McLelland Islay - Nice for smoky scotch accents and rinses; also use in the Improved Scotch Sling from the betacocktails.com site. Cheap enough that I don't really worry about it, but I need to get a blend for mixing as well at some point.

Bourbon, sipping

Four Roses Single Barrel - a Julio's Liquors handpicked bottling. Four Roses has long been my go-to because they put out a top-notch product at a fair price. I like dry, spicy bourbons and they do a great job making them.

Jefferson's 18 Year - See Ardbeg. One of the last opportunities to get my hands on Stitzel-Weller bourbon, even if it costs an arm and a leg. Had maybe two glasses and it really is wonderful stuff.

Bourbon, mixing

Old Grand-Dad BIB - I don't mix bourbon much, but if I do I want something high-proof and cheap. This more than fits the bill.

Rye

Rittenhouse BIB - The gold standard. I have about 3 backup bottles because the availability around here really comes and goes.

Sazerac 5 Year - Possibly rarer than Rittenhouse at this point. I don't like it as much but it's a quality product.

Sazerac 18 Year - 2009's holiday bonus gift to self. I make the occasional Sazerac cocktail with it. Rich and complex.

That's everything that's open now. The Rittenhouse is possibly the only constant as there's such a world of whisk(e)y to explore!

Ardbeg Nam Beist - A holiday bonus present to self. Barely cracked this bottle.

I have a bottle of that put back for a cigar & whiskey tasting planned for this spring. I'm really looking forward to it.

You mention of Christmas gifts made me realize I've completely forgotten another open bottle: Macallan 18 Sherry Oak SMSW...a birthday gift from my wife.

I've completely forgotten ...a birthday gift from my wife.

You're dead.

I'm rather fond of Michel Couvreur 12 year, which, alas, has risen in price since I stumbled upon it. It used to be quite a bargain, I thought. I hate the cork and phenolic-like sealant - a stinky mess to open.

I have Lagavulin 16, which I also enjoy as a treat. Somewhat redundant. Bowmore Legend makes a nice every-day Islay. I have some Laphroaig Qtr Cask, which mixes well and can make a high proof cocktail that drinks as if it were neat or on the rocks.

I'm also fond of Balvenie Doublewood for the money.

I don't have many guests asking for scotch because usually they want a cocktail. Or they're scared.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

If we're talking about sipping whisk(e)ys, right now I've got Rittenhouse BIB rye, Handy rye, Four Roses Small Batch bourbon, Talisker scotch, Jura Superstition scotch, and Bulleit bourbon. Wish I had a Macallan cask strength and one of the Laphroaig expressions around.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Ditto to those with the Balvenie Doublewood, which I thought I got a good deal on at $45, but K&L is selling it for $37!

I'm doing an indoor barbecued bacon-wrapped brisket this Saturday, and I've opened up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee for it. A nice rye-heavy bourbon for the money.

Roddy Rickhouse

Drinks Writer for Frontier Psychiatrist

http://frontpsych.com/

If we're talking about sipping whisk(e)ys, right now I've got Rittenhouse BIB rye, Handy rye, Four Roses Small Batch bourbon, Talisker scotch, Jura Superstition scotch, and Bulleit bourbon. Wish I had a Macallan cask strength and one of the Laphroaig expressions around.

Forgot two different bottlings of McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt Whiskey, which everyone should have in their cabinet.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts