• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

questions about using miso

Dante

OK, so I've never used miso before, but finally got some to use as an ingredient in a sauce. I'd like to know what else I could use it for besides soup. I'm sure it has a hundred-and-one uses but I a unversed in this area.

Sincerely,

Dante

Funny you should ask. Way back in November, nakji offered up a great recipe for squash with miso:

You can either steam the squash (for health) in chunks, or roast it tossed with sesame oil and salt. Then, when it's soft, mash it up adding a tablespoon of good miso, a tablespoon of butter, fresh ground pepper and a grating of fresh Parmesan to taste.

I never got around to trying it... until last night. It's highly recommended!

You can also use miso to marinate meats and fish (like the famous "miso-cured black cod"), but others with more experience than me in this area will have to provide information on how to use it for that.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

You can get good use from it anywhere that you'd apply salt and savouriness - think anchovy substitution, for example. In Japan it's mixed with other seasonings and applied to fish before grilling/baking. It's also good to go with drinks, mixed with seasonings, spread on a flat wooden spoon and grilled.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I like to play with the Miso-Almond Sauce from Mollie Katzen's "Still Life with Menu." She uses it on Steamed Vegetables, Tofu and Soba Noodles.

She uses 4 T miso and 6 T almond butter and gradually blends in 1.5 cups of boiling water.

I like it as is or with some garlic, tahini in place of some or all of the almond butter, parsley and a squeeze of lemon.

Or with peanut butter, ginger and some hot chili sauce with a sprinkling of cilantro.

I make miso salad dressings fairly frequently in the summer. Chang's miso butter recipe is good. William Shurtleff's Big Book of Miso covers the traditional uses, and then some.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

You can get good use from it anywhere that you'd apply salt and savouriness

This is exactly correct. For example, use a rice miso as a salt substitute for oatmeal.

Creamy oatmeal with miso and maple syrup - mmm tasty. Gives a nice protein boost too...

Sweet miso marinated black cod, chilean sea bass, salmon, or other fatty fish is great. [Recipe]

Mackerel stewed in miso with ginger is a nice winter fish meal. [Recipe]

It's also good on eggplant--either as a sauce or sort of a paste that adheres to one side of a slice as you cook it.

You might also want to check the Japanese cooking board for other suggestions.

Edited by emannths (log)