• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon Cocktails

Big Ben

So our restaurant is going to have it's first inaugural celebration of bacon, and on this day, each menu item from appetizer to dessert will feature bacon. Our sous chef is hard at work on the menu and I am being charged with coming up with a cocktail menu with drinks either complimenting, or even better, including bacon. I plan on bacon infusing vodka and perhaps bourbon as well. I have never done an infusion before but would like some tips. More importantly, I obviously need some bacon cocktail recipes as well. I have been promised by the kitchen candied bacon to work with as well.

4539503974_d0f027ecd0.jpg

I've had the Benton's Old Fashioned at PDT and the Del Sasser at Angel's Share in NYC (and when I've had it, it didn't have the bacon garnish shown in the photo, but I don't recall what the garnish was offhand--maybe a slice of orange). The Benton's Old Fashioned was smoother and more straightforward, but I liked the bacon/plum combination in the Del Sasser. I'd think bacon/pomegranate would be a nice combination as well. Angel's Share I think uses a house-smoked bacon, and the drink was smokier when I've had it.

About a year ago I had a Bacon inspired martini at DB Fishtail in NYC. I remember thinking 'liquid breakfast!' It was interesting, the drink itself focused more on a subtle maple taste and glass was rimmed in candied bacon crumbles. The concept was great, but ultimately it was far too odd a taste to palate for an entire drink. I'd just be cautious about (dare i say it) over-baconing' a drink.

I've thought about a chocolate-bacon cocktail, but balancing the tastes would be a thing of mass experimentation.

Goodluck

We also used to do the breakfast flip at PDT. Whole Egg, Bentons Bacon fat washed bourbon, maple syrup, and lemon. It was good, but very rich.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin