• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2011–2012

prasantrin

Anyone who doesn't admit McDonalds' fries, when hot and well seasoned aren't the reference fry, is lying to themselves.

Anyone who thinks MacDonald's fries are the "reference fry" must be kidding themselves. That may have been the case before they bowed to vegetarian pressure and changed their fry oil, but today their fries are no better than Burger King's.

Julia Child herself and Jacques Pepin himself long ago delared the McD "french-fry" incredibly delicious.

maybe that was when they put beef fat in their oil.

but Im guessing they went there when the oil was "new" = "fresh"

if you can find when they do that well, good luck making a better "fry"

cant say about the veg vs beef tainted oil

big deal in India!

Why McDonald's Fries Taste So Good (2001)

"The taste of McDonald's french fries played a crucial role in the chain's success -- fries are much more profitable than hamburgers -- and was long praised by customers, competitors, and even food critics. James Beard loved McDonald's fries.

"... The taste of a french fry is largely determined by the cooking oil. For decades McDonald's cooked its french fries in a mixture of about seven percent cottonseed oil and 93 percent beef tallow."

It was the beef tallow that upset the vegetarians (and Indians) when they found out about it. And, after MD's went to straight vegetable oil, the reason why they're no longer as good as they once were.

<hangs head in shame> I actually had McDonald's for breakfast this morning. I'm not a fast food person, we don't go out to fast food restaurants, other than Burgerville (a local chain with non-dirty beef) at all. But damned if the hashbrowns and breakfast sandwiches aren't pretty delicious first thing in the morning...my kids actually call McDonald's "the hashbrown place with the play area" since their hashbrowns are all they've ever eaten there! But I do bring my own coffee. I spent about $4.00 on a caramel iced latte, took one sip, and threw it in the garbage! I'd rather have Charbucks any day.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Big Mac yesterday for the first time in a good long while. Had a craving. Not too many options for burgers locally--especially in Melbourne. And man. Maybe I got a dodgy, even by McD's standards, burger or something, but it tasted of nothing but salt and salt and salt.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Anyone who doesn't admit McDonalds' fries, when hot and well seasoned aren't the reference fry, is lying to themselves.

My wife and I call McDonald's "Scottish Food." (Vague "Time Machine" reference.) On a road trip, the conversation is usually:

"What do you want to eat?"

"Anything but Scottish food."

I won't eat McDonald's. My wife used to love McNuggets. Then she saw a video on how the things are made. (Extruded is a better term.)

I'll have an In'N'Out, or a Fatburger. But never Mickey-D's.

And their fries? NASTY.

The TRUE reference fry is any proper pomme frite served in a paper cone on the streets of Belgium. Anyone who doesn't admit THAT needs to get out more.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I think Mcdonald's sausage is very fatty. It has a strange texture but I prefer it to the bacon. I do like a McGriddle every now and then but I almost always omit the egg. Their folded egg is another weird texture I don't care for. I do like the egg mcMuffin. The Big Mac is a particular craving I get sometimes but it does hit the stomach rather heavily. The nuggets are good when hot and crispy as a conveyance for the sweet and sour sauce but can leave once feeling gross afterwards. Occasionally I have a hamburger with the reconstituted onions and put some fries on the hamburger - which is not bad.

I do like a McGriddle every now and then but I almost always omit the egg. Their folded egg is another weird texture I don't care for.

You think that's bad...at least the eggs are eggs (or look like one). Try any Burger King breakfast sandwich that has egg in it. The eggs look like they're cut from a giant egg cloth... :blink: and taste like it, too.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

The french fries, at one time, use to be amazing back in the 80s. It may be myopic memory but to this day I've never found a superior fry. Not even ones done in duck fat or peanut oil would be able to compare. This was before health advocates and people who were disgusted about using fat as a frying medium made them change to a trans fat oil which now turns out is unhealthier. (thanks health advocates!).

Ironically, if McD went back to the original recipe of beef tallow as their frying medium, I bet it would resurrect the popularity of their empire, even among foodies if only for the fries.

A fastfood chain frying in animal fat is almost revolutionary today. Again, ironic.

I do like the mcmuffin, which is a brilliant invention.

Edited by savvysearch (log)

• 8 months later...

This morning while driving past a McDonald's I noticed one of their signs stating that they are offering their new oatmeal all day long...not just during breakfast hours.

For years, Jack in the Box has been one of the few fast food joints to offer their breakfast menu, if not just the Breakfast Jack, as being served all day long. It seems as if McDonald's may be following JIB's lead (which is rare since McDonald's usually the leader in introducing new fast food tactics).

Has anyone had McD's oatmeal?

Will we be seeing more McD's breakfast items offered throughout the rest of the day?

And will other fast food joints follow suit?

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

The local McD's has introduced McBites (click)

They're basically what's known as "popcorn" chicken. The big difference between the McBites and the McNuggets is that the McBites are 100% breast meat. They're available in three different serving sizes though some have complained that they're overpriced for the quantity you get.

Has anyone tried them?

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

The local McD's has introduced McBites (click)

I finally paid attention to the commercials promoting the McBites and heard that they are a limited time only item.

So now it makes me wonder if it's a test marketing thing, or if they're trying to follow in the limited time only success of the McRib. Which doesn't make sense since KFC, I believe, offers their Popcorn Chicken year round.

It's also interesting to watch their commercials which reflect who their target audience is. It seems the McBites are being marketed to 20-somethings. I guess I won't buy them then since I'm not in their target audience range (and haven't been for years). :raz:

Tim Oliver