• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Fat Guy

Subway 2011–

Posted (edited)

I often think that the key to Subway is who's making the sandwich.

The one nearest me is operated during the day by the manager, a woman of about 50 or so.

She's clean, the shop is clean and the ingredients look fresh.

On the other hand, the shop in the next town is run by a group of teenagers who couldn't care less about the food or the job as a whole, they're busy grab-assing; I won't go there.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

The meat, cheese and veggies, as well as the condiments, are in refrigerated containers. I often see ice crystals on the insides of some of the metallic bins.

The Subway restaurant I prefer to patronize (the one out in the boondocks) will actually close the large glass lids that cover each section of the ingredients when they don't have customers in the store. Most customers don't realize that when they're ordering their sandwiches and looking at the ingredients, they're actually looking through the the glass of the case and through the glass lids which are in the "up" position.

• Like 2

See if you have a Blimpies nearby. They are gooood!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

See if you have a Blimpies nearby. They are gooood!

We used to have a Blimpies in a gas station/convenience store years ago, and they were good. It's gone now, but we have a Jersey Mike's nearby, and next time I get in the mood for a sub, I'll either go there or to the grocery store and get ingredients to make my own.

I've been going to a local Subway off and on for a while. I usually stop in on Fridays to get the Sub of the Day, which is Tuna on Fridays. 

When they make the sandwich, they use a disher to put the proper portions on the bread, then use a small spatula-ish knife to spread the tuna on the bread before adding anything else to the sandwich.

For quite some time at this location, their disher has been broken. I asked the worker if management/the owner knew about the broken disher and they said "yes". The spring for the thumb button on the disher is shot and they have to manually move the button with their other hand in order for the disher to eject the scoop contents onto the bread.

This past Friday, they had a new employee working the counter. When I ordered the Tuna sandwich, she bypassed the broken disher completely and used the spatula-ish knife to dip into the tuna and plop it on to the sandwich bread. She ended up putting enough Tuna on the bread for two sandwiches. :o

It shocked the heck out of me. On the one hand, I'm thinking "Yeah me!" for getting a huge tuna-filled sandwich xD but I also thought if the owner wondered why their profits were down, all they had to do was look at this employee making this tuna sandwich. The finished sandwich was so big I could only eat half of the sandwich and saved the rest for the next day's lunch.

A word to franchise owners: Fixing broken utensils/machinery sooner rather than later will save you money in the long run. :B

• Like 4