• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Subway 2011–

Fat Guy

I often think that the key to Subway is who's making the sandwich.

The one nearest me is operated during the day by the manager, a woman of about 50 or so.

She's clean, the shop is clean and the ingredients look fresh.

On the other hand, the shop in the next town is run by a group of teenagers who couldn't care less about the food or the job as a whole, they're busy grab-assing; I won't go there.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2

The meat, cheese and veggies, as well as the condiments, are in refrigerated containers. I often see ice crystals on the insides of some of the metallic bins.

The Subway restaurant I prefer to patronize (the one out in the boondocks) will actually close the large glass lids that cover each section of the ingredients when they don't have customers in the store. Most customers don't realize that when they're ordering their sandwiches and looking at the ingredients, they're actually looking through the the glass of the case and through the glass lids which are in the "up" position.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

See if you have a Blimpies nearby. They are gooood!

We used to have a Blimpies in a gas station/convenience store years ago, and they were good. It's gone now, but we have a Jersey Mike's nearby, and next time I get in the mood for a sub, I'll either go there or to the grocery store and get ingredients to make my own.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 3 months later...

I've been going to a local Subway off and on for a while. I usually stop in on Fridays to get the Sub of the Day, which is Tuna on Fridays. 

When they make the sandwich, they use a disher to put the proper portions on the bread, then use a small spatula-ish knife to spread the tuna on the bread before adding anything else to the sandwich.

For quite some time at this location, their disher has been broken. I asked the worker if management/the owner knew about the broken disher and they said "yes". The spring for the thumb button on the disher is shot and they have to manually move the button with their other hand in order for the disher to eject the scoop contents onto the bread.

This past Friday, they had a new employee working the counter. When I ordered the Tuna sandwich, she bypassed the broken disher completely and used the spatula-ish knife to dip into the tuna and plop it on to the sandwich bread. She ended up putting enough Tuna on the bread for two sandwiches. :o

It shocked the heck out of me. On the one hand, I'm thinking "Yeah me!" for getting a huge tuna-filled sandwich xD but I also thought if the owner wondered why their profits were down, all they had to do was look at this employee making this tuna sandwich. The finished sandwich was so big I could only eat half of the sandwich and saved the rest for the next day's lunch.

A word to franchise owners: Fixing broken utensils/machinery sooner rather than later will save you money in the long run. :B

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

I found this in rabbit hole on YouTube. It interested me, so others who sometimes get a craving for Subway might also enjoy it. I must say that this is the most inconsistent chain I think I have ever eaten at though. It ranges from crave-inducing to disgusting, depending on the luck of the draw with the management of each franchise. Usually not worth the risk for me anymore, but if I'm ever stuck at Duke Hospital again in Durham, NC, I would try the one in the food court again. As I mentioned upthread, the close franchise that put rotten spinach on my sandwich before my very eyes (I said nothing and picked it off at home. I avoid public conflict.) has very justifiably gone out of business.

The Jared pervert thing probably did hurt their business image, but since I pay little attention to marketing and a lot more to quality of the actual food, that really didn't bother me, as far as considering a purchase from Subway. I just can't trust them to deliver edible food across their outlets. Fortunately, we have a lot of local places that do a consistent and great job with made-to-order subs. Harris Teeter grocery store has really good ones, and especially when they are on a special sale sometimes, they're a great value too.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

• 11 months later...
On 3/7/2017 at 6:35 AM, lindag said:

The one nearest me is operated during the day by the manager, a woman of about 50 or so.

On the other hand, the shop in the next town is run by a group of teenagers who couldn't care less about the food or the job as a whole, they're busy grab-assing; I won't go there.

Bumping this forward because it is so true.    We often stop at a Subway on our way home from the country.    We patronize two particular shops in the town of Lodi, CA.     Both immaculate FOH and prep areas.    Staff seems to vary considerably but each server has been conscientious and their products while not totally consistent, totally acceptable and delicious.    What you get is basically what you ask for.    At under $5 for an overstuffed 6" sub on decent house baked roll, they'e a steal and certainly a full meal.    

DH orders a spicy Italian on and Italian roll ->  3 kinds of italian deli meats, 2 slices provolone, lettuce, tomato, red onion, olives, mayo, "sweet onion dressing".    Sandwich is grilled if you wish after the cheese iis added and before veggies.    Today I had a baked ham with pepper jack, lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo, srirachi mayo, dill pickles and jalapenos = $3.99, as the 6" sub of the day.    That's pretty hard to beat.

eta the veg garnishes are pristine fresh at both of these shops.    As in all businesses, product and service are determined at and percolate down from the top.  

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Subway Got Too Big. Franchisees Paid a Price.

Seems like all isn't on the up and up within the Subway world.

Sabotaged meatballs. The wrong soap. Franchisees say supervisors manipulated inspections — then took their stores. A company ‘hit man’ says it’s true.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My local Subway that's just a stone's throw from where I live has come in quite handy during my recovery from surgery a few weeks ago.  I can order ahead of time and just pop over and pick up my lunch.  I usually get a foot long club and a chopped salad (their salads are quite good).  The two items provide me with food for at least a couple of days.

This store is still run by the same woman who"s been there for at least a couple of years (possibly more).

Of all the different ones I've tried hers is the nicest: that wasn’t always the case since before she took over it was run by high school kids and it was not a place where I wanted to go for food.  Now it's a place where your food is taken seriously.

i always tip when I get my sandwich and I hope she can stay in business.

(auto-correct is my enema.)

On 3/7/2017 at 8:35 AM, lindag said:

I try not to be sarcastic about the quality of staff in fast food restaurants, but sometimes...you just can't help it. Back before my local Subway went to the all-touch-screen ordering apparatus at the drivethrough, one used to order verbally via the speaker. I pulled up one day, announced I wanted a spicy Italian chopped salad with everything except peppers and onions. The youth on the speaker then asked me about each individual condiment, and finished up by asking, "you want lettuce on that?"

I really do like their sweet onion salad dressing, though.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

26 minutes ago, kayb said:

So does DH.   The reason we go there.    Do realize that if there is evil at Subway, it is the sweet onion dressing.     https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/subway-sweet-onion-sauce-copycat-467442

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

So does DH.   The reason we go there.    Do realize that if there is evil at Subway, it is the sweet onion dressing.     https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/subway-sweet-onion-sauce-copycat-467442

Oh MAN, do I owe you for that one! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/30/2019 at 2:18 PM, lindag said:

(auto-correct is my enema.)

I am so stealing that lin! :D 

On 6/30/2019 at 3:39 PM, kayb said:

I try not to be sarcastic about the quality of staff in fast food restaurants, but sometimes...you just can't help it. Back before my local Subway went to the all-touch-screen ordering apparatus at the drivethrough, one used to order verbally via the speaker. I pulled up one day, announced I wanted a spicy Italian chopped salad with everything except peppers and onions. The youth on the speaker then asked me about each individual condiment, and finished up by asking, "you want lettuce on that?"

Too funny about the kid taking the order! (I once got a BLT with the lettuce on the side because they weren't sure I wanted lettuce. Small town deli, trying to be accommodating.)

On 6/30/2019 at 4:07 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

On 6/30/2019 at 7:03 PM, kayb said:

Oh MAN, do I owe you for that one! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I owe you too! Surprised there isn't freshy chopped onion in it, but the flakes and juice may make it work. My darling loves the stuff.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 months later...

"Subway Is Officially Releasing A Brisket Sandwich For A Limited Time"

After a few weeks of rumors, Subway officially announced the existence of the Pit-Smoked Brisket sandwich, in stores now.

Subway teamed up with a pit-master with decades of experience for the sandwich and even gave customers a blind taste test of the product before its launch, with many being shocked that the sandwich came from Subway and not a BBQ joint.

The hot sandwich comes on an Italian roll and is topped with cheddar cheese and barbecue sauce. Though it's gotten a red-carpet roll-out, this sammie is only available for a limited time starting September 5, so hop to it!

Please take one for the team and report back with your opinion of the Brisket Sandwich.

In the article they also mention three new sliders they are adding to the menu which may also be a limited-time-only menu thing.

Tim Oliver

I actually had one of these a couple days ago.  It was okay, the meat was good but, for  me, the sauce was a little overpowering.  I doubt I'll order that one again; or may I'll just have them reduce the amount of sauce.

I really like their ciabatta sandwiches but they seem to be no longer available.  Too bad...overall these and the reubens they had about a year and a half ago were my favorites.

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

"Subway Is Officially Releasing A Brisket Sandwich For A Limited Time"

Please take one for the team and report back with your opinion of the Brisket Sandwich.

In the article they also mention three new sliders they are adding to the menu which may also be a limited-time-only menu thing.

Sorry, not me.  I detest Subway's sticky, mankey meat and the unmistakable Subway stench.  I'd rather eat a dozen BK tacos.  😁

• Haha 2