• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Google's New Recipe View

DanM

Is this the right place to post this? I am sure everyone here has searched Google for recipes at one point or another. They just released a new search feature called Recipe View. If you search for a recipe, click on the recipe option on the left to see them listed individually with options to narrow down the recipe by ingredient, calorie, etc... Here is an example.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

At first blush it seems neat, but I'm actually having trouble finding a practical use for it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I can see it being useful for people who need to exclude an ingredient, or want to use things they have on hand. Or people who find prep time useful. For each data bit that is exposed, there is a group of people who will find it interesting. What they will not realize is that the results include a teeny-tiny subset of the recipes online and since it skews corporate, it's not necessarily the most interesting or useful stuff.

The link doesn't work for me. I get an error message saying "The search option you have selected is currently unavailable"

Luke

Luke - it hasn't been rolled out to the Australian (google.com.au) domain yet. If you want to test it, you have to go to the US Google: http://www.google.com/ncr (direct link to override the local re-direction to .au)

(You can also navigate there by going to google.com.au and clicking 'Go to Google.com' at screen bottom)

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

i do like that you have three options per ingredient: yes, no, and unspecified... it is a feature i wish was more commonly available other places (amazon!!). but really, if i want to make something without a certain ingredient, or with other specifications, i'd rather find a recipe from somewhere i trust and modify it to my purposes, rather than finding a random recipe that happens to have the ingredients I want to use.

Well, I'm glad Google is trying to tackle this. Recipe searches have long been a problem IMHO. There are just too many shovelware sites that will just publish anything.

I like the idea that they're using some specialized markup to help Google index, but this looks like it will take some time to be further refined and prove itself.

But it could also get contentious given the copyright status of recipes. If I create a killer original recipe and The Food Network posts it on their site, will I get buried in the search results?