• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shelf-stable products that shouldn't be

Fat Guy

Water in plastic containers.

I do keep one large plastic container of water, date marked in large letters, in the cellar in case of emergencies. Our water is dependent upon our having functioning electricit and if the power goes off and one needs water immediately, it's just too late. We have an emergency generator, but it does take a few minutes to get it all functioning.

Then every 6 months, that water is relegated to only some uses...such as burns..., and never drinking. Eventually the water gets dumped outside.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Interesting. I thought I was crazy for being loathe to drink even unopened bottled water that's been around longer than a couple of months. In fact, I recently dumped out a gallon of distilled that I managed to avoid using for almost a year. I'm still not sure it wasn't a waste of money.

I have a tendency to give the vacuum packed shelf stable Indian fare at the market a second thought. In a pinch, they are okay, but pale in comparison with other versions.

Pouch tuna in some cases tastes better to me. I think the thin nature of the packaging may lead too less cooking time than what is required to preserve a can of tuna.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.