• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If I Could Have One Meal Again...

weinoo

Well, coward that I am, I was truly waiting for someone to mention not just the wonderful food, but the place and time it was consumed...

My husband died, way too young, and it has left me, to say the least equally full of both memories and regrets.

I would want to go back to the first meal I ever cooked for him. Mind you, I was not trying any of the "total woman" tricks to catch him, nor was I trying to impress him. As the daughter of both a pro and amature chef parents, I was simply trying to do what they did when they had company, i.e., provide excellent food in a nice setting..

I made stovetop fried chicken, with chicken broth and cream gravy, pecan infused stuffing, mashed creamy potatos, so we'd have a use for the gravy, cranberry sauce from a can, and some broccoli I steamed then threw in butter. Homemade cornbread and softend butter completed the meal. I had guessed, and rightly so, that we'd need no desert after this feast.

We sat outside,(it was summer) after, and had gin and tonics over ice, until it was time for

him to go home. It was only about six weeks after this, that he asked me to marry him, and in those six weeks, as he did,I came to understand that both of us were head over heels in love. I was a dedicated career woman, and he was a "never again" divorced man, but there you go.

Suffice to say, we married, had our daughter,and I will spend the rest of my life wondering why our time was cut short...

So, that is, beyond anything, the meal I'd go back to... Yes, a perfect, amazing meal, but the memories? Even better.

Edited by christine007 (log)

---------------------------------------

Well, coward that I am, I was truly waiting for someone to mention not just the wonderful food, but the place and time it was consumed..

Actually, I guess that's what I hoped this topic would really be about.

You're story, as is suzilightning's right above, is quite moving and thanks for sharing it with us. It's always great to have the memories.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Well, coward that I am, I was truly waiting for someone to mention not just the wonderful food, but the place and time it was consumed...

My husband died, way too young, and it has left me, to say the least equally full of both memories and regrets.

I would want to go back to the first meal I ever cooked for him. Mind you, I was not trying any of the "total woman" tricks to catch him, nor was I trying to impress him. As the daughter of both a pro and amature chef parents, I was simply trying to do what they did when they had company, i.e., provide excellent food in a nice setting..

I made stovetop fried chicken, with chicken broth and cream gravy, pecan infused stuffing, mashed creamy potatos, so we'd have a use for the gravy, cranberry sauce from a can, and some broccoli I steamed then threw in butter. Homemade cornbread and softend butter completed the meal. I had guessed, and rightly so, that we'd need no desert after this feast.

We sat outside,(it was summer) after, and had gin and tonics over ice, until it was time for

him to go home. It was only about six weeks after this, that he asked me to marry him, and in those six weeks, as he did,I came to understand that both of us were head over heels in love. I was a dedicated career woman, and he was a "never again" divorced man, but there you go.

Suffice to say, we married, had our daughter,and I will spend the rest of my life wondering why our time was cut short...

So, that is, beyond anything, the meal I'd go back to... Yes, a perfect, amazing meal, but the memories? Even better.

Wow, what a wonderful moving story. Thank you so much for sharing and I'm sorry for your loss.

oh, christine...

what a beautiful story. i, too, lost a husband though after less than a year of marriage but several years later i was lucky to find john and we will be married 29 years in may.

one dinner i will NOT want to repeat was the one he whipped up for me. he started at about 9 am and we ate at 7 pm. he had made me a cocktail(can't remember what it was) then served me chicken cordon bleu, mashed potatoes, broccoli and pots du chocolat all made from my Fannie Farmer cookbook. then i saw the kitchen and it took me about 3 hours to clean up almost every dish, pot and pan we owned.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites