• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chick-Fil-A 2011

Fat Guy

Can we pause for a moment to admire the cuisine of Chick-Fil-A, not to mention their "eat more chicken" advertising (if not the recent anti-gay-marriage controversy)? I just visited a Chick-Fil-A and was reminded that it is a fast-food chain of which we can all be proud. The chicken sandwiches are excellent, as are the waffle fries and everything else I've tried -- I hear the breakfast items are good too -- and customer service is stellar. I wish we had it in New York City, but I imagine the closed-on-Sunday issue might make the economics of operating in Manhattan untenable.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Chick-Fil-A is my "go to" meal when I am coming home from work and don't have anything at home to eat, don't want to cook, and don't want to buy anything to cook. The location nearest me has the added advantage of being VERY close to me AND on the same side of the street I am traveling. It's very easy "in and out" through the drive through.

The relatively new spicy chicken sandwich is my new standard, default order. Occasionally, I order nuggets. Sometimes I get waffle fries, other times I substitute cole slaw. (no extra charge). I really like the sandwich. It's always good. Very consistent. Service is pretty prompt, and always friendly and courteous. Sometimes, I dine inside. It's always very clean. It's a really well run chain fast food operation.

I don't think the "closed on Sunday" would be a killer in Manhattan, but maybe I am wrong. Surely there are other businesses there that close on Sundays (or Saturdays?) and do just fine.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Chick-Fil-A is the only fast food that I will go out of my way for. Their politics leave a bit to be desired, but the product is solid.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

But we do have it in Manhattan, only one location. It's in NYU dining hall at 5 University Pl.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

I'm so there.

I wonder what the business arrangement is down at NYU.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The employees at the one we went to recently, in Hickory, NC, were incredibly courteous and helpful.

Living in Atlanta I'm a bit of a homer, but I'm an unabashed fan of Chick-Fil-A (if not their politics). The Chicken biscuits, spicy chicken sandwhich and shakes are all legit in my book. I think the trick to good fast food is to offer a small number of good quality items (see also In-N-Out Burger).

The politics are exactly why I won't be returning to a Chick-Fil-A, even if they have a superior chicken sandwich (which I think they do). The same thing held true for me with Cracker Barrel for many years until their policies regarding GLBT folks changed (although to be fair, I never saw a need to eat there more than once as I found the food to be fairly unremarkable).

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I love Chick-Fil-A and it's the only fast food we allow out toddler son to eat. He digs it. They distinguish themselves with customer service to a degree I'm surprised they haven't tried to trademark the phrase "my pleasure!"

A few critiques, however. I am actually not a fan of the spicy chicken -- even though I go for spicy things almost by default -- as I find it to have a really strong MSG-esque, salty after effect. And all of their chicken, while delicious when it's served hot, turns to rubber as it cools and is never the same when reheated.

Not that it ever gets a chance ...

Chick-Fil-A is the only reason that I am thankful for the Bergen County NJ Blue Laws...we have had one in Paramus Park Mall since it opened in the '70s.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I grew up in GA, and love Chik-Fil-A. I wish there was one close to me, but the nearest one is Fairfield. I saw one in L.A. on my way to Phoenix and had to stop. They have real sweet tea too :). And I love their Chicken Biscuits in the morning.

When I was in Atlanta last summer, their billboards are hilarious. Their politics I can do without though.

According to Robert Sietsema of the Village Voice, always out front on such things, the Chick-Fil-A at NYU (which is a "Chick-Fil-A Express," actually) is a disappointment, selling pre-made, soggy sandwiches.

Also this recent New York Times "City Room" blog post comes up on Google re the NYU Chick-Fil-A: "Chick-fil-A Protests at N.Y.U. Are Muted."

I guess I'll have to sneak in and check it out.

When I first moved to Atlanta, I ate a Chik-Fil-A (inside) a few times and was very favorably impressed, for all the reasons mentioned above. Good quality food served fresh, and good service. There aren't any near me, so I don't go very often, but the last few times I have, it's been through the drive through, and the quality has really suffered. A couple of times, the food was okay but not great, but the last time I went, the food had obviously been sitting around for a long time. I was very disappointed -- to the point where I doubt I'll go back. It wasn't a problem with a particular store -- the mediocre/bad experiences were at three different locations.

Maybe they just don't do drive-through well, but if that's the case, why have it as an option?

• 3 weeks later...

Not only is the service friendly and helpful, at least two of the CFA's I've been to (in Cherry Hill, NJ and South Philadelphia) actually feature table service. They'll bring the food out to your table. And come around asking if you want a refill of your lemonade. It's crazy.

I'm not actually that big a fan of the food at CFA- the sandwiches are OK, and I like the diet lemonade, but that's about it- but the service, combined with the play areas at a lot of the stores, make them a great option for when I'm out with the kids.

I love their diet lemonade. It's made with Splenda rather than aspartame, so I can drink it. My kids absolutely love their sandwiches.

Chick-fil-A franchises tend to be very good corporate citizens. They are great about helping out schools and community groups with fundraisers, sending out their cow mascots with coupons and giveaways and giving freebies or discounted food. My favorite brush with the courtesy of Chick-fil-A was when I was moving some huge props for a marching band performance across the campus to the football field for a halftime show performance. A couple of the cows joined me and helped me roll the props down a steep hill to the ball field.

I do remember that when my kids were younger, they had a tendency to have really variable kids meal "toys." One time you might get a toy with real play value, and the next time you might get a real kid-pleaser like a book lecturing them on a character trait.

I do remember that when my kids were younger, they had a tendency to have really variable kids meal "toys." One time you might get a toy with real play value, and the next time you might get a real kid-pleaser like a book lecturing them on a character trait.

They seem to have upped their game, then. The last two kid's meals I bought came with a pretty good book ("If You Give A Pig A Pancake") and a brain-teaser game. The company has clearly decided to focus on including prizes that have some intellectual value, as opposed to the latest Disney movie. I'll give them props for that, too.

The politics are exactly why I won't be returning to a Chick-Fil-A, even if they have a superior chicken sandwich (which I think they do). The same thing held true for me with Cracker Barrel for many years until their policies regarding GLBT folks changed (although to be fair, I never saw a need to eat there more than once as I found the food to be fairly unremarkable.

I agree with you. I wont purchase anything there anymore, however, I do have 2 free coupons which I'll redeem. I just wont give them my money.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to revive such an ancient discussion but Chick-Fil-A is changing some of their menu items:

"Chick-fil-A says goodbye to spicy chicken biscuit"

The change, which took effect Monday, marks the debut of the chain's first new breakfast entree in six years: the egg white grill.

Egg White Grill? My, doesn't that sound appetizing. ¬¬ What's next? The Kale Quinoa Acai Chicken Wrap?

In addition to the biscuit, Chick-fil-A is also dropping their cinnamon cluster and multigrain oatmeal.

You are informed...and yer welcome. ;)xD

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't care for Chick-fil-A's politics OR their food. But I will say they make the best fast-food lemonade I've ever had.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 7/19/2016 at 10:34 AM, kayb said:

I don't care for Chick-fil-A's politics OR their food. But I will say they make the best fast-food lemonade I've ever had.

If you ever get a chance to visit Hot Dog On A Stick try their lemonade, it's even better -they leave lemon halves in the dispenser, so they get more flavor from the zest. CF doesn't take this extra step.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

"Chick-fil-A is launching a sandwich that's like nothing on the menu"

The new "Smokehouse BBQ Bacon" sandwich features grilled chicken, Colby-Jack cheese, lettuce, and several ingredients that are brand new to Chick-fil-A including brown-sugar-and-pepper-glazed bacon, a new "Smokehouse BBQ" sauce, and a sweet, Hawaiian-style bun.

It will be a seasonal thing like McD's McRib sandwich.

And at the very end of the article is a mention of a new beverage they will be adding: watermelon mint lemonade.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver