• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would you do with a Vitamix for a week?

dividend

My super awesome co-worker has loaned me her Vitamix for a week or so, because I've been curious about them, and on the fence about whether I want to spend the money for one of my own. She's given me some of her favorite recipes to try, but I thought I'd ask here for suggestions as well.

What should I try with this thing that will show off it's awesomeness? I'm thinking mayonnaise, peanut butter (or maybe try homemade nutella), green smoothies, grinding various things into flour...? I tried some of her vegan "pepperoni," will definitely make a variation of that.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Do try some soups, especially cream soups that can be so easily ruined by scorching when cooked in a saucepan.

I oven-roast vegetables in big batches and freeze them in packets so I can produce an "instant" soup by the addition of liquids.

Use the basic instructions that are in the Vitamix book and go from there.

Try making your own mustard. Soak mustard seed overnight in a mixture of 3 parts wine to 1 part vinegar, just enough to cover.

Then blend them in the Vitamix with a little sweetener (honey or a jelly), add herbs and spices that you like to taste. Don't forget a little salt.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Green smoothies, definitely! Get some cheap frozen mango or pineapple from Trader Joes (or go all out and get fresh), a bunch of spinach, some ice cubes (depending on whether fruit was frozen or not), a banana and some ginger (no need to peel, the vitamix will take care of it no problem!), and maybe some OJ or additional water. I do this almost every day. So good.

I agree with soups. Nothing makes a velvety smooth cream of whatever soup like my Vitamix and a pass through the strainer. I don't use it to cook the soup as I feel it is an inefficient way to heat products and you cannot develop slow cooked flavor in it.

Frosties are also fun. Dump some broken up candy, ice cream, and a little milk to adjust thickness into the vitamix for a tasty treat.

I am also looking at making a nice white bean dip with the machine.

Dan

ETA... I forgot to mention baby food. Perfect for pureed veg for the infant, if you have one.

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.