• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

black pearl mushroom/Pad Hed Poa

We just had some carryout from a place here in Chicago, USA. One of the dishes we had was Pad Hed Poa which was described as 'Stir-fried black pearl mushroom and ground pork cooked with chili paste'. We enjoyed it quite a bit--the pork was cooked to the point where it almost became a grain/accompaniment to the Mushrooms, which were probably reconstituted dried funghi. To a certain extent they resembled black olives in size and shape with a nice earthy crunch to them.

I've searched for more information on 'black pearl mushroom' and have hit a blank wall.

I'd appreciate any info on the mushrooms--perhaps a different more common name, or at least a description of some sort. If you think they might be fairly easily found in the States, please point me in that direction.

Also, any notes on the dish as a whole--what it is, traditionally, would be helpful in recreating it.

• 4 weeks later...