• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Finger Lickin' Now Not So 'Good'

IndyRob

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8335439/KFC-abandons-finger-lickin-good-slogan-in-a-bid-to-boost-its-image.html

When they came for the Colonel, I was silent - because I was not a Colonel.

When they eliminated the Kentucky, I was silent - I was not a Kentuckian.

When they eliminated the Fried, I was again silent - probably 'cause, well, I myself, was probably fried.

When they eliminated the Chicken, thus becoming merely KFC, I was silent - perhaps because I was a chicken.

But now "Finger Lickin' Good?" is gone?

'Finger lickin' good' is very good but it's very food-centric," says Martin Shuker, chief executive of KFC UK and Ireland.

Oh, God forbid that KFC should be food-centric.

"'So Good' is still about the food but it also allows us to more effectively communicate the breadth of different things about the brand, such as our people and our community," adds Shuker.

Having worked corporately for/with four fast food companies I totally understand the thought process, series of meetings and research studies that led to such a f-upped decision. One of the reasons I stopped working for/with fast food companies.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

You'd think it couldn't get worse, right?

KFC says it has been discussing this step with The Food Network as a partner in the Department of Health's "Responsibility Deal" as part of its aim to give customers greater choice.

Back when it was finger lickin' good Kentucky Fried Chicken, it was actually pretty good stuff. Now that it's KFC "So Good", it is terrible. If I don't feel like frying a chicken, we can get much better chicken at Wal-mart! When every grocery store in town beats your restaurant, who's raison d'être is FRIED CHICKEN, maybe it's time to step back and rethink things.

Agreed - odd marketing. But when the craving hits I hit the drive-thru for a large side of the cole slaw. I make interesting and delicious cabbage and other slaws, but this sometimes just needs to be picked up. The rest of the menu is history for me.

Agreed - odd marketing. But when the craving hits I hit the drive-thru for a large side of the cole slaw. I make interesting and delicious cabbage and other slaws, but this sometimes just needs to be picked up. The rest of the menu is history for me.

Agree totally. The cole slaw is my one fast food addiction.

You'd think it couldn't get worse, right?

KFC says it has been discussing this step with The Food Network as a partner in the Department of Health's "Responsibility Deal" as part of its aim to give customers greater choice.

Hey. At least they did not create a reality TV series with the Food Network to make the next great chicken recipe that will be featured on their menu...

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Hey. At least they did not create a reality TV series with the Food Network to make the next great chicken recipe that will be featured on their menu...

Quite right. It's bad enough they turned the Colonel into a cabbage-patching cartoon character. I imagine him rolling over in his blue grass covered grave.

I can just see the consultants swarming around KFC with advice to dispense. I see this all the time in my field, outsiders who basically know squat about the industry coming in with expensive and stupid and naive suggestions. The worst situation is when the outsiders come upon a leader who was brought in from outside the industry himself. He knows little about the history of past mistakes and successes and therefore swallows the crap they are dispensing.

I think Americans are still the target market -- that explains the new grilled chicken and the double-down sandwich. I don't think the US is buying as much as they once did. I hardly ever visit KFC. Maybe once every two years.

When I lived in Florida, my local gas station made MUCH better chicken than the Colonel. I'm still looking for a good chicken stand here in Vegas. KFC is just OK. I'll probably end up buying some fried chicken tonight. I have a super early morning tomorrow -- that fried chicken means a good hot dinner, and a solid cold breakfast.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe