• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe for a Specific Sweet/Sour/Hot Sauce

CDRFloppingham

My wife and I ate at The Source http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3941 on Valentines Day.

The sushi course had two fairly nondescript rolls. One of the rolls was topped with some crispy fried shrimp in a sweet/sour/hot sauce.

I have been tasked with trying to recreate that.

I think it is a variation on the General Tso's Chicken sauce.

Hence, I'm asking if any of you have a good recipe.

TIA!

I don't have a recipe, but I do have a procedure -- fried meats of that nature are marinated in soy sauce with some green onions, ginger, sesame oil, etc. added. Then the excess liquid is drained and enough corn starch is added to coat. Shake off, dip in a tempura batter and fry.

Drain then toss with sauce.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks all.

I glommed together a bunch of recipes I found online.

I marinated in basically garlicky teriyaki sauce.

Coated in cornstarch and deep fried.

The sauce was garlic/ginger frizzled.

Ketchup

White vinegar

Sugar

Chicken stock

Soy sauce

Chili flakes

Turned out fine but not spectacular. I'd like to do something to keep the shrimp crunchy next time (I tossed the shrimp in the sauce at the last second but not quite the result I was looking for.

Dip the corn-starched protein into a light tempura batter (freshly made, minutes prior to frying) and then fry. The tempura will stay crispier longer, and takes sauce better in my experience.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Dip the corn-starched protein into a light tempura batter (freshly made, minutes prior to frying) and then fry. The tempura will stay crispier longer, and takes sauce better in my experience.

Roger that. I will try that next time.

My wife loved the dish...I thought it was good but not great.