• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jilebi jilebi jilebi

prasantrin

I love jilebi and I often crave the neon orange sickeningly sweet fried snack. I once tried to make my own, but it was too cold (I was living in Japan at the time) inside my house and the mixture wouldn't ferment.

But I have a question which may seem stupid. I bought some jilebi the other day, and it's not very good. I don't think it was very fresh, so it's sort of soggy (not soggy, but it doesn't have that nice crisp exterior that fresh jilebi had). Can I rejuvenate it? Stick it in the toaster oven? Crisp it up in a non-stick pan?

Or is my only choice to microwave it with some milk, mush it up, and eat it with a spoon?

I became addicted to these fantastic little sweets while working in Jaipur.

Having been lucky enough to have a local Indian sweets shop near me in Melbourne, I will buy a few at every opportunity!

I doubt you could recover your stale Jilebi. If anything, try drying them in a low oven, which might crisp up the outside.

I wish you luck. Wish me luck with my blood sugar levels.

Luke