• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Treacle

FoodMan

Recently our local Mega Mart (aka Kroger) started a section which I refer to as "The Jamie Oliver Section" due to the fact that it contains English staples that were not found there a few months ago. I used to go there looking for "Golden Syrup", Custard, Digestive biscuits and other stuff I've seen or read about with Jamie Oliver, and find nothing but maple syrup and nilla wafers!! So I'm assuming several others must've asked about these items and Kroger started stocking them in limited quantities in this one section in the Ethnic foods aisle. Now I can find all this stuff and some others that I've never heard before.

One such items is the "Black Treacle" made by the same company that makes "Golden Syrup". Of course I was intrigued and almost bought it, however I thought it might be prudent to post a question or two about it first. What is it used for? Any recipes? Can I use it like molasses or cain syrup is used?

Your insight and help is appreciated.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Black treacle is British molasses. Use it as you would for scones, beer, toffee, dark breads...

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Why don't you just buy a jar, take it home, open it up, stick a spoon in it and sample???

That way, you could make a direct comparison to what we in the States call molasses. If it is darker and thicker, maybe it's similar to black strap.

I've used black treacle in several recipes, but not lately, so can't make any direct observations...

But I can't see what difficulties would be presented by just buying a jar to sample. There might well be some recipes on the jar that you could try. And if not, well.... as our friends in NYC might say, "couldn't hoit."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Why don't you just buy a jar, take it home, open it up, stick a spoon in it and sample???

That way, you could make a direct comparison to what we in the States call molasses.  If it is darker and thicker, maybe it's similar to black strap.

I've used black treacle in several recipes, but not lately, so can't make any direct observations...

But I can't see what difficulties would be presented by just buying a jar to sample.  There might well be some recipes on the jar that you could try.  And if not, well....  as our friends in NYC might say, "couldn't hoit."

yeah but some people *like* things what hoits :cool:

• 2 years later...
mmmmmm.  steamed treacle pudding.  with custard.

actually, despite the name, this is made with golden syrup. As is treacle tart. Why is that? But treacle scones + treacle toffee are made with actual treacle.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

actually, despite the name, this is made with golden syrup. As is treacle tart. Why is that? But treacle scones + treacle toffee are made with actual treacle.

Golden Syrup is light treacle. It was developed in the late 19th century. Technically Treacle, Black Treacle, Molasses, Golden Syrup and Blackstrap are all treacles.

actually, despite the name, this is made with golden syrup. As is treacle tart.

As I found out the hard way... As a child, the first thing I made unsupervised was a treacle tart. No golden syrup in mum's cupboard, so I substituted black treacle. Well, the pastry was nice...