• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rouge Tomate

Andrew

Has anyone been to Rouge Tomate? I would be interested to hear some views.

I went quite a while ago, soon after it opened, and was very pleasantly surprised, actually. The food, though put forth under the guise of being healthful and natural, all had excellent flavor and was very well balanced. It's one of those places I always meant to get back to, but never managed to do so. It probably doesn't help that I live downtown and don't find myself in that 'hood that often. But I highly encourage anyone who gets a chance to try it. Everything tasted very "clean" without sacrificing flavor, texture or other pleasure-related aspects of the food.

Unlike the hippie-dippie health joints, there's a high premium on cooking technique, and they don't throw their mission so aggressively in your face as to make it off-putting. While it's no Jean Georges or EMP, I really enjoyed my meal there, and didn't feel I had taken years off my life by eating it. I'll be curious to hear if it's still good.

I went to Rouge Tomate over a year ago as part of a group meal. I thought the whole concept was a little pushy and just a little too self-congratulatory. I also thought they were so caught up in what they were doing that they forgot that people want to enjoy their meal. To complicate matters, I'm gluten-free and they made no accommodations for me. This is not what I expect when I go to a restaurant of that caliber. I have eaten many places with chefs who get gluten-free, who understand that gluten free food can be just as wonderful and enjoyable as food that contains gluten. Perhaps too it was the fact that it was very germanic food which I am just not into. Really, I would have been happier with a salad rather than whatever they served us for the meal. I also thought the service was not the great, but that tends to happen when you are with a group and shut off in a room. I wanted more water, and there was a serving bar in the room and when I went up myself to get it, the jug/pitcher was so heavy, I could not lift it, so no more water for me. I think I had even asked for more water. Anyway, I was not impressed. But the restaurant was beautiful in a cold sort of way.