• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Balboa

Siharris28

Hi all,

Couldn't find recent recommendations for Balboa Peninsula and Island. We're staying on the Peninsula for a week in April, would appreciate lunch spot recommendations, preferably that could accomodate twin 7 month olds! Heard about Il Farro which sounds good, would like a good seafood place, maybe Mexican as well?

Thanks a lot.

I was going to chime in with the Crab Cooker as well; a stalwart of the area, I am in my late 40s and remember eating there as a kid with fond memories and still return once a year when I visit friends.

Sorry to spoil the spirit. Been to Crab Cooker only once. Paper plates, plastic knife/fork, plastic cups, and boiled crab didn't do it for me. Not at their prices. I think there are more decent outfits near New Port Pier.

And BJ's (that's the original?) for some good beers and casual dining - near Balboa Pier.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 1 month later...

hzrt8w - we are staying yards from Newport Pier - any other recommendations there?

Siharris28: my experience is limited.

We have been to the restaurant at the tip of Newport Pier. It changed hand one time at least, that we know of. We like the view of the ocean and the beach. Food-wise it was okay. The burger, fish and chips, some dinner entres kind of thing.

Further down there is Balboa Pier. At the tip of Balboa Pier there is Ruby's. We like to go there too for the view.

Many restaurants are clusterred around 3 spots: near Newport Pier, near Balboa Pier, and near Balboa Pavilion (view of the Newport Bay). I am not familiar with all the restaurants. Perhaps walk around and see if any one might attract you. Balboa Pier and Balboa Pavilion are only 2 short blocks apart. Between the two piers, it's about one to two miles.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"