• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Scale Recommendations, 2011–

May10April

Please please please don't spend money at Harbor Freight if you can avoid it. I am a tech and have bought a handful of items from them over the years, usually because they were super cheap and I needed a special tool that maybe I don't use every day. Every single time I find myself wishing I had spent a few dollars more to get something that has had some care in engineering and manufacturing. I have seen horrible welds, bad solder joints, screws missing/loose, unfinished sharp edges etc etc etc. It feels like the cheapest imported stuff you can get, like the new equipment you find at flea markets or the like. I'm not one of those who advocates spending top dollar, especially at home, but without fail it seems like my Harbor Freight tools always have to be replaced with something that actually works right. For $40, there are many better options out there, including the MyWeigh scales which seem to be so highly regarded here. This is not an attack on your scale, it is probably fine, but just a thought on avoiding that stuff in general, from someone with experience and a lighter wallet. 

• Like 2

I bought a new kitchen scale a few months ago from KAF.  I found it to be too complicated for daily use.  Most of my weighing needs are very simple and this scale is just too fiddly with charts and charts of codes for different ingredients...the average home cook/baker doesn't need all that.

I ended up putting it away in the pantry and using my old $60 Salton scale that I've had for ages.

• Like 1

So DH came upon the scene and now we have ordered the following scale: Accuweight Digital Kitchen Scale Electronic Meat Food Weight Scale.  I report back when I use it. 

We are keeping the new mechanical scales.  They are awkward to use but we won't be caught scale-less again.

Thanks again for all the help.  (I should add that this coming March it will be 57 years married. LOL)

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Digital scales have never been kind to me.  My thirty some year analog scale keeps on working and I've yet to change the batteries.  I use it a multiple times a week.

But when I went to using modernist ingredients I needed something that would measure smaller quantities.  The first digital scale I got didn't work.  Amazon took it back.  My second try was an AWS.  Flimsy little thing but it did the job.  Then the on/off switch became erratic.  A few months ago I ordered a Modernist Pantry branded scale, primarily to spend enough to get free shipping on their little powders.  That scale was a dud, but Modernist Pantry replaced it.  The replacement worked well.  For the first two times I used it.

It did not work when I was making ice cream two days ago.  Thankfully after some button mashing I managed to get the AWS to turn on long enough to weigh the things I needed.  But there was no joy.

Sad fact of life, I cannot afford a $2000 scale.  However I found this on amazon for less than $100 (OK, $99.99).  One day delivery.  It came tonight.  Without letting the scale warm up or stabilize I threw a 200 g weight on the pan and it registered 200.066 g.  I may have low standards but I found that impressive.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Digital scales have never been kind to me.  My thirty some year analog scale keeps on working and I've yet to change the batteries.  I use it a multiple times a week.

But when I went to using modernist ingredients I needed something that would measure smaller quantities.  The first digital scale I got didn't work.  Amazon took it back.  My second try was an AWS.  Flimsy little thing but it did the job.  Then the on/off switch became erratic.  A few months ago I ordered a Modernist Pantry branded scale, primarily to spend enough to get free shipping on their little powders.  That scale was a dud, but Modernist Pantry replaced it.  The replacement worked well.  For the first two times I used it.

It did not work when I was making ice cream two days ago.  Thankfully after some button mashing I managed to get the AWS to turn on long enough to weigh the things I needed.  But there was no joy.

Sad fact of life, I cannot afford a $2000 scale.  However I found this on amazon for less than $100 (OK, $99.99).  One day delivery.  It came tonight.  Without letting the scale warm up or stabilize I threw a 200 g weight on the pan and it registered 200.066 g.  I may have low standards but I found that impressive.

I use a cheap escali that I picked up somewhere. It’s a horse. 

Escali Primo Digital Kitchen Scale (11 lb/ 5 kg Capacity) (0.05 oz/ 1 g Increment) 

I must learn to curb my enthusiasm.  I like everything about the YaeCCC scale except that I can't get it to calibrate.  I wrote YaeCCC for help.  It may just be I don't understand the instructions.  None of the mostly positive reviews on amazon mentioned a problem with calibration.

It does seem to be linear and it doesn't drift.  After the scale warmed up two different 200 g weights from two different companies measured 200.076 g.

I've been using my Salton Electronic Kitchen Scale (my model no longer available) since 2006.  It cost $60 tjen and was well worth it.  I use it every day (no exaggeration) and I think I've only had to change the battery once, maybe twice.

Bought it from KAF.  It's similar to this one.

Kitchen scales have become a whole lot cheaper since then.

Update:  YaeCCC responded promptly.  This scale comes in three models, the difference being the maximum weight:  200 g, 300 g, or 500 g.  I have the 500 g.  As it turns out the calibration instructions provided are for the 200 g model, using the 200 g weight included in the box.  There is no way any customer would guess how to calibrate the 500 g scale, but it was not difficult once I knew how.  Why YaeCCC doesn't mention the procedure is a mystery.*

Calibration also requires additional weights** not included with the scale.  So not only are calibration instructions not provided, nor are the means to do so.  I can only suppose they get a lot of tech support questions and returns.

Calibration is at five points:  100 g, 200 g, 300 g, 400 g, and 500 g.  As I said, not difficult.  After a quick run through my 100 g weight measured 100.001 g.

The scale runs on batteries or AC.  Blessedly it does not auto turn off.  The weighing platform is removable.  The readings don't drift around.  The scale has leveling feet and a built in bubble level.  As scales go, I like it.

I'm tempted to buy a higher range scale of the same type.  Amazon has them up to 30 kg (though only 0.1 g resolution).

*the amazon product description has been updated to include the calibration instructions!

**which fortunately I have.

23 hours ago, gfweb said:

I use a cheap escali that I picked up somewhere. It’s a horse. 

Escali Primo Digital Kitchen Scale (11 lb/ 5 kg Capacity) (0.05 oz/ 1 g Increment) 

I have one of these.  I bought it, according to Amazon, on September 27, 2007.  It still works fine, and is accurate.  The display has gotten hard to read, there's some thing in between layers of hte display. 

I also have a little scale by american weigh scales.  1Kg by 0.1 g.  It sucks.  switch doesn't work right, the tare switch sticks, and it's generally chinese crap.  Amusingly, for a while after I I bought it, Amazon was convinced I needed very small zip lock bags. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Recently I purchased a higher capacity scale of the same type I mentioned above.  The interface looks identical.  I wrote to customer service asking what weights were needed for calibration.  The Great Wall rep responded that a 1kg weight was required for calibration.  However when I start the calibration procedure the scale asks for a 20kg weight.  I don't have a 20kg standard and the company tech support has no clue.

The scale still measures nicely to a gram but it's supposed to be good to 0.1 gram.  I suppose I could stand on it.

• 2 years later...

Bumping a REALLY old topic, but I just wanted to share a few thoughts on scales which might be useful for people shopping for new kitchen scales...

3 years ago, I decided to replace two of my kitchen scales - one generic 3kg/1 gram scale and a Jennings CJ-300 300g/0.1g scale (originally bought to weigh fly fishing lines :laugh:) - with a larger capacity 0.1 gram scale.

Initially, I looked for scales/balances with dust proof IP-rating, but that turned out to be difficult to pair with 0.1g readability. At least within my budget. After months of research and communication with different companies/sellers, I ended up with a fantastic deal on a Radwag WLC 6/F1/K with 6000g capacity and 0.1g readability, because someone had ordered the wrong scale and had returned the "special order" unopened in the box to the seller.

https://radwag.com/en/wlc-6-f1-k-precision-balance,w1,U5F,101-102-127-100

The capacity was a little lower than I thought I needed, but the deal was just too good to pass up on, and so far, 6kg has been perfectly fine. Over the last couple of years, the scale has performed very well, with little or no long-term drift between calibrations. Functions such as tare memory (with AC adapter plugged in) or the ability to enter tare value manually has become indispensable for me in a kitchen scale, but the biggest plus besides stable and reliable performance, is the form factor. 

If you have counter space to dedicate to a small benchtop platform scale like this, I can't recommend it enough. It's absolutely fantastic to work with. The stainless steel platform is easy to clean, can be used with hot pans directly from the stove (great to verify/control degree of reduction and for calculating salt percentage at the end of a cook), and thanks to the cabled display/input interface, access to the display/interface is never blocked by big pans, bowls or gastronorm containers.

For gums/carrageenans (and fly fishing lines), I use a MyWeigh iBalance 601 at a dedicated "weighing station" outside the kitchen.

• 10 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 8:34 PM, dscheidt said:

I have one of these.  I bought it, according to Amazon, on September 27, 2007.  It still works fine, and is accurate.  The display has gotten hard to read, there's some thing in between layers of hte display.

So, this scale is dead.  I suppose 16.5 years is okay life span.  But, I need a scale.  I could just buy another, it's still sold.  Or I could buy something new.  Waht's out there? 

44 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

So, this scale is dead.  I suppose 16.5 years is okay life span.  But, I need a scale.  I could just buy another, it's still sold.  Or I could buy something new.  Waht's out there? 

I recently got the OXO scale (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) to replace my old Teraillon which was getting very inaccurate. I really like it! It’s a good design, compact, and it works really well. I like the greater capacity (11 pounds).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I recently got the OXO scale (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) to replace my old Teraillon which was getting very inaccurate. I really like it! It’s a good design, compact, and it works really well. I like the greater capacity (11 pounds).

I bought the OXO about 12 years ago and have been happy with it.  I'd recommend it to almost anyone.

• Like 4

... Shel

On 2/8/2024 at 1:52 AM, FrogPrincesse said:

I haven't had my hands on that one personally, but had taken note of it because of its very cool pull-out display. I have a really cheap Starfrit, which is fine for my usage on the whole, but irritating when I want to use it with a larger bowl. The pull-out display on the OXO would eliminate that issue.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, chromedome said:

I haven't had my hands on that one personally, but had taken note of it because of its very cool pull-out display [...]

IMO, that's a great reason to consider the OXO scales.  The feature has made life in the kitchen easier and more pleasant many times.

Edited by Shel_B
Clarity of intent (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

I bought the oxo.  I'm returning it.  Two problems: it's too wide to fit in the drawer I need to store it in, which is 7"; and my wife didn't approve of it.  she though the cord would break, get dirty, etc.  I probably could have made one of the problems work, but not both. 

so, any narrow scales?  that's really hard to search on....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 10:03 PM, dscheidt said:

I bought the oxo.  I'm returning it.  Two problems: it's too wide to fit in the drawer I need to store it in, which is 7"; and my wife didn't approve of it.  she though the cord would break, get dirty, etc.  I probably could have made one of the problems work, but not both. 

so, any narrow scales?  that's really hard to search on....

My wife bought an escali from sur la table.  The nutri or nutro or something like that.  Works fine so far. measures to the half gram, which is nice, but not necessary.  has ml and fl oz units, which is dumb without a way to specify density.  presumably it's assuming water.