• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Scale Recommendations, 2011–

May10April

Andie, is this tray something you constructed? it sounds as though it would be a handy thing to have.

It's just a 15 x 20 inch bus tray on which I have put labels, leaving space for the size of the little containers I use, either the disposable cups or the little glass or metal ones used in commercial kitchens. I have stacks of them. If I'm doing a lot of baking, I use the disposables. If only one or two items, I just use the regular ones.

Ingredients tray.JPG

It's gotten a lot of use this past couple of weeks.

I have another tray for perishables - milk, butter, eggs, fruits and etc., currently it is in the fridge chilling some ingredients for later use.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is the scale I ended up ordering for measuring xanthan gum and such:

http://www.awscales.com/portable-precision-scales-01-gram/247-geminipro-digital-milligram-scale

I'll report back when I have tried it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I received my AWS GeminiPRO tonight. Like Chris Hennes' rice, it's very cheesy, but not objectionably so. It took much effort to get the battery compartment cover off nondestructively. Batteries and calibration weights were supplied. The problem is that readings jump around a lot. I will try calibrating again after the scale has sat in one place for a while, to see if that makes a difference. Cosmetically it looks rather nice for plastic, better than I might have expected.

I've found even breathing on the sensitive scales can alter their readings, and you have a very sensitive one.

In addition to calibration weights, I use coins to check my scales. It's easy to find the exact weight of a coin for a given year (I cut a bit of slack due to wear and/or accumulated crud).

Thanks

Brian

I'm about to do more than breathe on it. I have the scale sitting on a two and one quarter inch thick slab of maple butcher block, as far from windows as I can get it (except maybe for the bathroom). This is not a temperature controlled laboratory, but the temperature is 75 deg F. The scale passes calibration. Precision is about plus/minus one gram. The supplied 10g weights measure between 9 and 11 grams. I replaced the supplied AAA cells with no difference in performance.

On my analog kitchen scale with 5 gram divisions, both 10g calibration weights measure between 15 and 20 grams together.

I'm about to do more than breathe on it. I have the scale sitting on a two and one quarter inch thick slab of maple butcher block, as far from windows as I can get it (except maybe for the bathroom). This is not a temperature controlled laboratory, but the temperature is 75 deg F. The scale passes calibration. Precision is about plus/minus one gram. The supplied 10g weights measure between 9 and 11 grams. I replaced the supplied AAA cells with no difference in performance.

On my analog kitchen scale with 5 gram divisions, both 10g calibration weights measure between 15 and 20 grams together.

If I have understood your post correctly you are not happy with the accuracy of the AWS scale. Could you please confirm as I was also thinking of getting this model. Thanks.

If I have understood your post correctly you are not happy with the accuracy of the AWS scale. Could you please confirm as I was also thinking of getting this model. Thanks.

Correct. My unit seems to be defective as best I can tell. The scale looks reasonably nice and the feature set is OK (except possibly for the plastic pans). I cannot recommend this model though since mine does not work for the intended purpose of measuring ingredients for recipes out of Modernist Cuisine at Home. I have not yet contacted the dealer or AWS about the problem.

Mjx, which model do you have? I'm looking at the CJ-600 as a pretty good fit for my needs. (Single person, cooks for groups relatively infrequently). 20 year warranty is a very nice touch, I gotta' say, though their description doesn't say anything about being able to plug it in.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm really sorry, I don't know how I missed your post from well over a year ago, but (although I'm certain you now have a scale) I have the CJ4000 model. Still love it. I now have my heart set on the JSVG20 unit.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 9 months later...

Looking for a scale that has .01 g resolution and the number of choices out there is staggering. Mixed reviews all over the place. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for something that has at least 100 g capacity. The price ranges on these make it difficult to tell which ones are actually good or junk. I've seen some 10 dollar ones get decent reviews and it makes the 50+ dollar ones look overpriced

How about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-ACP-200-Digital/dp/B003STEIYY/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1387080265&sr=1-1&keywords=aws-200

I asked for it for xmas and found out about it through the ChefSteps.com team. They recommend the 100g model through their shop. If it is good enough for them it is good enough for me.

But, unfortunately, I don't have any experience with it yet, sorry, but there are reviews!

After a very bad experience I still don't have a digital scale. I returned my AWS since it didn't work. However the one you linked is a different model.

Seems like a good model. Unfortunately it also seems as though it doesn't measure out in ounces, though the ACP 500 which has .1 g resolution does. It also looks like it requires you to buy the calibration weights separately. Not huge problems however. Might just take the plunge and buy it. If I get it I'll let you know how it works

I was actually looking into digiweigh models but some reviewers said that it required constant calibration and that even after calibration it would be off. Dirt cheap though.

Edited by takadi (log)

Yeah I didn't notice, but that does kinda suck it doesn't do ounces. You can always convert I guess. ChefSteps allows you to edit their ingredient amounts in a recipe and then change back and forth between grams and ounces. That could be useful if they use a specific ingredient that you are using. And there is always google.

• 1 month later...

My next purchase will be a kitchen scale. I have a quick, general question: Are there any scales where the tare weight can be greater than the capacity of the scale, i.e., say I get a scale with a 1-lb capacity but the bowl or vessel weighs more than 1-lb empty. Can I still get a tare weight?

... Shel

decent kitchen scales 'weigh' up to 5 kg these days.

that should cover you for a heavy bowl and what you put in it. in 1 gm increments:

http://www.amazon.com/AccuFit-MS-6881-Convertible-Food-Scale/dp/B00CJA0QYO/ref=sr_1_23/187-2902574-5170037?ie=UTF8&qid=1390419577&sr=8-23&keywords=amazon+kitchen+scale

this one even looks cool. and they are a lot cheaper than when I got mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone using this scale: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1391113087&sr=1-1&keywords=oxo+digital+scale - OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display?

It was recently rated #1 by Cook's Illustrated, but their ratings aren't always representative of how a product behaves over time in the real world. What are the pluses and minuses of the unit? Have you had it a while and how has it held up? Would you buy it again?

I am also considering this scale: http://www.amazon.com/Polder-KSC-310-28-Digital-Glass-Silver/dp/B000G2OTM2/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1391114056&sr=1-2&keywords=polder+digital+scale - Polder Easy Read Digital Scale - same questions.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I told my sister to get this and she did. it works for her.

she is no Technocrat.

BB$B has this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/OXO-Good-Grips-reg-5-Pound-Food-Scale-with-Pull-Out-Display/1017290339?Keyword=kitchen+scale

w coupon, done. w BB$B something happens, you take it back.

if you want something more 'Industrial" there is this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/OXO-reg-22-lb-Food-Scale-with-Pull-Out-Display/1040427188?Keyword=kitchen+scale

the Slater scale I have from BB$B was 49 about 8 - 10 years ago, now about 29.

Look at what BB$B has, find something that appeals to you. and then youre done.

not so happy a bit later w it? take it back for another.

Of Course, Gov. Brown wants a taste. He deserves it.

Is anyone using this scale: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1391113087&sr=1-1&keywords=oxo+digital+scale - OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display?

It was recently rated #1 by Cook's Illustrated, but their ratings aren't always representative of how a product behaves over time in the real world. What are the pluses and minuses of the unit? Have you had it a while and how has it held up? Would you buy it again?

I use this. My minor complaints are: the backlight often goes out quicker than I want it to, and sometimes, but not always, when I remove something, it goes back to -1g or something in that range, but a quick zero out solves it. Otherwise it's fine, the pull out display is EXTREMELY useful

• Like 1

Don't know if this has been mentioned upthread, but whatever scale you get, make sure it takes normal, easy to find batteries like AAAs or something like that. My first scale used some sort of strange battery, and when it ran out I was unable to replace it. Had to get another scale.