• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

I've been using the My Weigh KD8000 for a couple of years. It works fine. It's sometimes handy that it holds a full 8kg (like if I want to measure food directly into a Dutch oven).

This scale has a pretty unique feature in that it lets you measure with bakers' percentages. I invented this feature for them ... in an email exchange about service for an older scale, I asked them if they had a scale that did percentages. They were intrigued and said they'd give me a free scale I plotted out the user interface and the math for what I was talking about. I designed the thing for them, they sent me a (very nice) free scale, and that was that. A few years later the nice scale broke, and since I didn't have a receipt or warranty card, I had to shop for a new one.

Lo and behold, there was the scale I designed. So I bought it. It's a perfectly good scale, but I have to admit, I've never once used the feature I designed. Does anyone use this scale, and if so, do you use the bakers' percentage function?

Edited to add: I use an AWS scale for smaller quantities. It reads to 0.01g and holds up to 200g. Was cheap ... under $25. It's ok, but it can be slow to stabilize and give an accurate reading. This is inconvenient when you're measuring things like gums and leavening ingredients in tiny quantities. When it dies I'll try to find one that's better (hoping one exists).

paulraphael

paulraphael

I've been using the My Weigh KD8000 for a couple of years. It works fine. It's sometimes handy that it holds a full 8kg (like if I want to measure food directly into a Dutch oven).

This scale has a pretty unique feature in that it lets you measure with bakers' percentages. I invented this feature for them ... in an email exchange about service for an older scale, I asked them if they had a scale that did percentages. They were intrigued and said they'd give me a free scale I plotted out the user interface and the math for what I was talking about. I designed the thing for them, they sent me a (very nice) free scale, and that was that. A few years later the nice scale broke, and since I didn't have a receipt or warranty card, I had to shop for a new one.

Lo and behold, there was the scale I designed. So I bought it. It's a perfectly good scale, but I have to admit, I've never once used the feature I designed. Does anyone use this scale, and if so, do you use the bakers' percentage function?