• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Digital scales have never been kind to me.  My thirty some year analog scale keeps on working and I've yet to change the batteries.  I use it a multiple times a week.

But when I went to using modernist ingredients I needed something that would measure smaller quantities.  The first digital scale I got didn't work.  Amazon took it back.  My second try was an AWS.  Flimsy little thing but it did the job.  Then the on/off switch became erratic.  A few months ago I ordered a Modernist Pantry branded scale, primarily to spend enough to get free shipping on their little powders.  That scale was a dud, but Modernist Pantry replaced it.  The replacement worked well.  For the first two times I used it.

It did not work when I was making ice cream two days ago.  Thankfully after some button mashing I managed to get the AWS to turn on long enough to weigh the things I needed.  But there was no joy.

Sad fact of life, I cannot afford a $2000 scale.  However I found this on amazon for less than $100 (OK, $99.99).  One day delivery.  It came tonight.  Without letting the scale warm up or stabilize I threw a 200 g weight on the pan and it registered 200.066 g.  I may have low standards but I found that impressive.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Digital scales have never been kind to me.  My thirty some year analog scale keeps on working and I've yet to change the batteries.  I use it a multiple times a week.

But when I went to using modernist ingredients I needed something that would measure smaller quantities.  The first digital scale I got didn't work.  Amazon took it back.  My second try was an AWS.  Flimsy little thing but it did the job.  Then the on/off switch became erratic.  A few months ago I ordered a Modernist Pantry branded scale, primarily to spend enough to get free shipping on their little powders.  That scale was a dud, but Modernist Pantry replaced it.  The replacement worked well.  For the first two times I used it.

It did not work when I was making ice cream two days ago.  Thankfully after some button mashing I managed to get the AWS to turn on long enough to weigh the things I needed.  But there was no joy.

Sad fact of life, I cannot afford a $2000 scale.  However I found this on amazon for less than $100 (OK, $99.99).  One day delivery.  It came tonight.  Without letting the scale warm up or stabilize I threw a 200 g weight on the pan and it registered 200.066 g.  I may have low standards but I found that impressive.