• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat mixture for Greek style meatballs

KathyP

I'm having a few friends over on Friday for movie night - "Shirley Valentine," much of which takes place in Greece. Among other appetizerss, I decided to make Greek style meatballs and went searching for recipes on the net. I found one using ground veal and turkey; another using ground lamb and beef. However, when I got to the market I forget which meat went with which recipe and bought both ground veal and ground lamb. I'm now thinking the lamb may be too overpowering to mix with the veal. What do you think? Save one or the other for another recipe or give it a try? Or can anyone recommend their favorite recipe for them. Thanks.

the ones I found in my books are either asking for "ground meat" with no further instruction or ground beef. I think you're right though, I'd either keep one for later, or - if you have the time - maybe make both kinds of meat ball, which could be fun.

Considering how hard it is for me to find veal here, I'd shy away from adding anything to it.

Fun idea with dinner & movie! Wish I'd know somebody that would be into that!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Save the veal for something else! I don’t see the two meats working well together.

Over in the Meatballs topic, I mentioned that I love my lamb meatballs, but didn’t provide a real recipe. As best I can approximate, I’d say:

Per lb of ground lamb:

¼ cup minced onion

1 large garlic clove, minced

1 Tbsp olive oil

3 Tbsp fresh mint, finely cut

½ teaspoon salt

large pinch allspice

pinch cinnamon

small pinch cayenne pepper

¾ cup fresh bread crumbs

1 large egg, beaten

2 tablespoons dried currants

Dipping sauce:

1 cup Greek yogurt

Fresh mint, finely cut, to taste

Juice of ½ lemon

Salt to taste

Preparation: saute onion and garlic in olive oil over low heat until soft but not brown. Cool. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mixing thoroughly but gently. Let mixture rest for at least 1 hr. Form into small meatballs, and place 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Refrigerate until ready to cook.

Cooking: preheat oven to 450F. Bake meatballs in top third of oven for 8-10 minutes, shaking or turning meatballs at halfway point. Don’t overcook.

Serve warm with yogurt dipping sauce on the side.

the various spices all work well with the lamb but it's the fresh mint that really makes them special.

In the same topic, Fat Guy posted a recipe w/ a video link that I have not tried but that looks interesting: here

I agree with save the veal. I'd toss it in the freezer for a meatloaf mix later on. To my mind, the dominant flavor of ground meat in Greek cuisine is lamb. Maybe beef as a minor add-in, but the souvlaki and keftedes I've had in Greek restaurants, and seen in recipes, have all been ground lamb.

Linda's recipe sounds outstanding. I'll remember it the next time I want Greek food ! :wink:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

LindaK, I made these meatballs last Friday. They were a big hit. I also had some leftover meat, so I made a burger for my husband. He didn't think he'd like it, but he did. Thanks much for the recipe.

Kathy, I'm glad you liked them. I'm going to steal your idea of using the recipe for a burger, esp. with dhardy123's suggestion for adding feta--I'm thinking as a topping--when summer finally arrives and I can fire up the grill. Imagine this lamb burger on a toasted bun, with crispy lettuce and a slice of great tomato...thanks for the suggestion!

I'm intrigued by slkinsey's suggestion for adding yogurt to the meatball mixture. I'd guess it not only adds flavor but keeps the meat tender. Must try.