• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santi Santamaria dies

Rogelio

The chef from Can Fabes, Santceloni, Evoo and Many other restaurants has died in Singapore today. He was a great and highly opinionated cook.

I can not find it right now, but Pedro Espinosa published here on eG a great interview a few years ago.

Rest in peace.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Article in English, from Singapore News: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_singapore/view/1111182/1/.html

The cause of death is apparently still unknown/undisclosed, although what I've seen in Spanish (not one of my strong lanaguages) articles seems to be suggesting a heart attack.

Edited by Mjx (log)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

About 10 years ago I had the pleasure of meeting the man and having a few conversations with him over a period of days in, of all places, Singapore. His raw brilliance was evident, and a parmentier he made remains one of the best things I've ever eaten. I disagree strongly with his recent broadsides against modernism, but there's no question he was a great man. This is very sad news.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Santamaria's death is most disturbing. He was a multi-talented chef.It was our awareness of Santimaria's talents in the late '90's that excited our interest to investigate the newest and best of culinary advances in Spain. We loved Santamaria's talents. We were thrilled to learn that Santamaria was a great cook. Ferran Adria was the second chef that got our attention.

So his premature death is a loss for his contribution to the culinary world. He will be missed. With great respect, Judith Gebhart