• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen geometry and fatal flaws

Mjx

... I am going to tile the floors and the walls all the way to the ceiling with white ceramic tile or, if I can still get it, steel tile ...
Any custom stainless fabricator can cut stainless steel into squares you could use as tiles or make you large sheet that could cover big areas without joints. Really thick stainless, the thickness one would associate with tile, whether in small pieces or large, will be expensive.

We sold our house in Kansas City and moved to Lexington Ky last summer for a new job.

The house we rent is very nice, probably 5 years old or so.

The kitchen may actually be too big. Its got the classic triangle workspace. Stove at the end, sinks to the right and fridge on the left. I'm guessing there's about 10 ft from fridge to sink. This makes for lots of cabenet and counter space, but also lots of steps for everything. There is also a pantry at the other end of the kitchen and that's 15 ft or so from the stove end. Sounds weird whining about too much kitchen space, but it is too big.

One other complaint is the wire shelves in the pantry. I hate these things as nothing will stand up. I'm tempted to cut some plywood and set on top of the wire to make a real shelf.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

We sold our house in Kansas City and moved to Lexington Ky last summer for a new job.

The house we rent is very nice, probably 5 years old or so.

The kitchen may actually be too big. Its got the classic triangle workspace. Stove at the end, sinks to the right and fridge on the left. I'm guessing there's about 10 ft from fridge to sink. This makes for lots of cabenet and counter space, but also lots of steps for everything. There is also a pantry at the other end of the kitchen and that's 15 ft or so from the stove end. Sounds weird whining about too much kitchen space, but it is too big.

One other complaint is the wire shelves in the pantry. I hate these things as nothing will stand up. I'm tempted to cut some plywood and set on top of the wire to make a real shelf.

I have shelving units with wire shelves and I use full size sheet pans, which fit exactly the depth of the shelves.

Not only do they let things sit level, the lip keeps stuff from sliding off.

I recently bought 10 because of the price break for multiples. (4.59 each)

considering the price of plywood now, this was cheaper for me.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett