• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Night to Dine Out

weinoo

I guess we (New Yorker City dwellers) dine out more than the average American. I'm pretty sure I do, even though I've got the cooking thing down pretty well.

I'll start by saying that my least favorite night to dine out is Saturday. I don't necessarily have to go through all the reasons why, but it's usually too busy and too annoying.

So, my favorite is probably Tuesday (with Wednesday bringing up the rear). Many chefs here have Monday nights off so when they get back to work on Tuesday, they're rarin' to go. Everything, ingredient wise, is pretty fresh on Tuesday. And, most of all, I can pretty much get in anywhere I want to go without dealing with the hassle that is Thursday - Saturday.

Yours?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

We like early work week nights esp Thursday. More relaxed and no date night or party night dealings. I like to talk to the servers or chefs and can often get tours etc when it is slow.

Another fave is weekend lunch. Same food in smaller portions and prices so we can judge if we would like to come back for dinner.

Do chefs only get one day off? Are there some that would take Monday and Tuesday, which would make Wednesday best.

But yeah, I'm with you, slower days are best, and I usually go earlier like 7 pm.

I don't personally know that many chefs, but from what I "hear," most chefs get one night off. Of course, I'm not referring to Ripert, Batali, Vongerichten, Boulud, etc.

Interestingly enough, this past Sunday in the NY Times, there was a piece about Daniel Boulud and his Sunday routine...

On Sunday, his only day off, he might whip up a meal for friends in the kitchen at Daniel

So it seems Mr. Boulud only takes one day off...the day Daniel is closed. If you want him to cook for you, better go to Daniel on a Monday :biggrin: .

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Sunday is probably our favorite as it's relatively easy to drop in at a no reservations place early on a Sunday night around 6pm or 7pm (I rarely get out of work that early during the week). Of course, the high end/4 star restaurants are closed typically on Sunday.

Thursday through Saturday is eh.

In Manhattan, the day the weekend starts keeps creeping up, it seems. Thursday night feels like Saturday night in a lot of places.

Weekend lunch is no good unless the restaurants specifically serves a proper lunch. Most have chosen to either a) be closed or b) give into the demands of the brunch masses. Note: I do like brunch (as a concept). It's just not really a quiet time to visit a restaurant in NYC.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

i don't enjoy eating out for dinner at all. i would rather eat at home or at work since several nights out of the week i work until 8 pm.

i would rather eat out for lunch and, on the weekends, spend my time cooking for my husband and myself.

we MAY do dinner out twice a year - his birthday(celebrated early on halloween so we don't have to deal with trick-or-treaters) and MAYBE mine.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites