• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speck, the Restaurant

Holly Moore

Shola is doing a Q & A on Speck on his StudioKitchen blog. I have kicked things off with a few questions. Everyone is welcome to jump in with their question(s) by leaving a comment on the blog post at any time over the next few days.

Shola will begin answering the questions on Wednesday.

Here is the link to the Speck Restaurant Web Site

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 4 weeks later...

If there is really 1 million spent one would think Blatstein is the guy with the money into it. If this is the end for Speck he will get somebody else in there to run it.

Michael Klein reports that Shola owns the liqour license, however

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Not sure if this is an "I told you so" moment.

A lot of work and, evidently, a lot of money went into Speck. It is sad that Speck restaurant can't make it past a couple of final hurdles. It would have been a significant addition to the Philadelphia dining scene. Being the optimistic sort, I am still hoping there is a resolution to be found. But it is tough to restore trust once it is lost.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I in no way cheer this news. As a multiple-occasion diner at the original Studiokitchen, I was thrilled by the idea, moreso by the plan to incorporate the Studiokitchen concept. But watching the developments closely, talking to a number of industry insiders, and having reservations pages go up, book tables, and submit credit card information--only to have each attempt cancelled (the second two cancellations without explanation), I became truly skeptical. I'd love a resolution that brought studiokitchen to life. I'm sure if they built it, they would come. I would, if it happened. But I ain't letting myself buy into the hype again.

So they didn't have a written business agreement up to this point? Hard to imagine.

Or is Blatstein trying to amend the one they had? In which case I don't think he can lock out his partner without triggering a suit.

Speck's domain hasn't been renewed either:

http://speckfoodandwine.com/

I noticed that last week - though a friend noted that there is a http://www.speckrestaurant.com site that looks like the old one. I was more struck that the Speck tags seemed to be removed from the Studio Kitchen blog (as was the great Speck Q&A) - all of that had really got me wondering.

I'm a big fan of Shola's food and hope this situation can be salvaged, but it doesn't sound promising.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...