• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2011 Season

Chris Hennes

How long depends on your growing conditions--if they are getting good sun and good heat, they could take off. If they are crowded and in the dark--you have plenty of time. If your cabbage gets root bound, it will not head--it will just bolt.

Kouign Aman, start some more from seed--you will have more fresh basil in a couple of weeks, or at least you would here. (How do you pronounce Kouign, anyhow? Worries me every time I read it!)

sparrowgrass

Too dang cold here for naked anything! I am seriously considering turning the heat on.

Rain, rain, rain here--we had two days of hot sunshine, but when I went home to run the tiller, it wouldn't start. :angry:

My buddy came and got it going for me, but now there are puddles in the garden. Good thing I have asparagus to keep me happy. Last night I diced an ounce of bacon, and sliced some cremini mushrooms into the pan. Once they were cooked a little, I added asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces. Cooked til just tender, sprinkled some fresh chives over the top--perfection!!

sparrowgrass

We actually do have the heat on here. It just figures, it's sunny and 80s during the week when I'm trapped in an office all day, then crap on the weekend.

I'm going to be watching the temps closely for tonight - we may have to haul the pots of tomatoes and peppers indoors, or at least up onto the deck... when is the nice weather going to arrive?

Too dang cold here for naked anything! I am seriously considering turning the heat on.

Our heat kicked on this morning. We are supposed to have a dip down to 37 next week. The tomatoes are all in 2 gallon containers in a cold frame. They may end up there until Memorial Day.

We've got some ham hocks, split peas and broth simmering for supper. We should be having peas and mint, but the peas aren't even in the ground yet.

I am dead broke, so keeping the heat (and AC) off is a money-saving effort. It is 55 outside, and 64 in, so I have a fleece sweater on.

I spoke too soon, earlier this week. On Facebook, I posted a picture of the blackberries that are blooming all over the place, and said that I thought we had already had 'blackberry winter' this year--apparently I was wrong.

Instead of lightly steamed asparagus and a burger on the grill, I am thinking of some cream of asparagus soup with wild rice.

sparrowgrass

This past weekend was the plant sale at the local organic farm. We picked up several unique heirloom and hybrid tomatoes, eggplants, tomatillos, okra, butternut sqash, baby bell peppers, and a few herbs. We also picked up a Wapsiphcon tomato plant at the farmer's market. Its supposed to put out small fruit that are fuzzy like a peach. Unfortunately, I need to hire someone to do the gruntwork as I cannot lift anything over 5 lbs until the end of the month.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 4 weeks later...

Its not even officially summer and we've had almost a whole week of over and nearly 100 degree days. Fortunately, my DH reinstalled the auto watering system and added overhead sprinklers to my raised bed. The plants now get a gentle 15 minute shower each morning.

RaisedBed-0610b.jpg

The potted citrus trees are also on the watering system and get a daily drink and their fruit is coming along nicely.

Meyer Lemons

MeyerLemon-0610.jpg

Kaffir Limes

Lime-0610.jpg

It's been over 100 for days here, too! Right now, it's pouring rain--much needed rain. I'm nervous about our wheat crop...they've already started harvest around here. It's the earliest harvest anyone can remember. Much of our wheat did not get the water it needs, which makes the kernels smaller..or they don't form at all, so we'll see.

Anyway, my cilantro has already bolted...sigh... So, I bought more dill, cilantro and basil and I'm going to try growing them in pots inside.

We have around 30 tomato plants going. They look really good. Around 20 peppers of all varieties are doing well, too. Also have cukes, eggplant, squash, cantaloupe and watermelon. Oh and onions, mustard greens and radish.

I'll take pics soon and post.

Squirrel.jpgWell, June gloom seems to have definitely hit the coastal area of So. California. My plants are doing well but I am watching carefully for the dreaded powdery mildew! So far, so good. I am watering by hand using the soaker on the ground, under the leaves. My cucumbers and tomatoes look good. They are both throwing flowers, so I hope it will warm up enough for a nice crop of vegetables this year. Last year was a real disappointment for me. I have started many plants from seeds this year...especially some unique tomatoes. However, I have to say that the volunteer tomatoes that came from my homemade compost looks the most robust at this time. I don't have the heart to pull them out and I don't have a clue what they will bear...kind of fun to have a mystery in the garden. My beans are germinating...just hope the critters don't eat their tender leaves. Here is a photo of a bold squirrel chomping on a chard leave in full view of my front window!

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

This is the first year I've tried to grow anything! I'm known in my family for killing everything I try to grow, but this year I'm determined not to overwater or neglect my plants (scout's honor!) and actually get some to live through the season. We have a space about 3 ft wide by 8 ft long that's the only spot in the yard with sun, and so I'm making the most of it. I opted for containers since I can move them around if I need to, and it's easier to pull them out to water the ones in the back if I need to, plus I needed the space they were taking up in the garage. I have two sunflowers my daughters planted, potatoes in potato bags, parsley, oregano, thyme, chives, mint (in a pot so it doesn't take over, although I killed it last year) 4 different varieties of cherry tomatoes, and zucchini and mini pumpkins in small swimming pools. I also have a little blueberry bush. We'll see how it goes, I'm cautiously optimistic...

I wish I had a shelf that I could raise and lower so I could garden vertically, but I'm not able to spend much money on something and I'm not a carpenter...any ideas?

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Tomatoes:

Homesteads are doing well and producing like mad despite > 90F temps since mid-May.

Pink Brandywine is already 8 ft tall and producing well.

Black Cherry, Green Zebra, Dagma's Perfection and Flamme all doing well and just starting to fruit.

Squash:

Crookneck is overrun with squash bugs and they are very difficult to control. I hate them and wish they had never existed on this earth.

Chiles:

Cayennes producing well.

Jalapenos are just now starting to fruit.

Tomatoes:

Homesteads are doing well and producing like mad despite > 90F temps since mid-May.

Pink Brandywine is already 8 ft tall and producing well.

Black Cherry, Green Zebra, Dagma's Perfection and Flamme all doing well and just starting to fruit.

Squash:

Crookneck is overrun with squash bugs and they are very difficult to control. I hate them and wish they had never existed on this earth.

Chiles:

Cayennes producing well.

Jalapenos are just now starting to fruit.

I feel your pain. I quit planting squash and eggplant for the last 2-3 years due to those little bastards. I went ahead and planted one of each this year. I'm going to be SO mad if they come back.

Some sort of aphidy/gnaty creature infested one of my tomatoes and looks like it is sucking it dry. Must go get some BT tomorrow to try to limit the damage. That plant had set probably 2 dozen tomatoes already, and if I lose them, I will be PISSED. Due to what ever is sucking it dry I doubt it will set any new fruit, but I'm hopin' and prayin' the stuff that's on there will ripen.

The other one, which was slow to start, is now thriving, and I hope to keep the aphidy/gnaty things away from it.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Pierogi, bT is not a good control for aphids/gnats. It works on worms/caterpillars. Try an insecticidal soap (Safer is one brand name), or mix up your own in a spray bottle. Use a spoonful of dishwashing liquid in water. Be sure to get all surfaces--bugs like to hide under the leaves--and drench the plant thoroughly. Leave the soapy solution on for half an hour or so, then spray it off with plain water.

Making sure your plants are well fed and watered does a lot to limit damage from insects. Don't fertilize tomatoes until they have fruit on them, or you will have all foliage and no tomatoes.

sparrowgrass

Don't fertilize tomatoes until they have fruit on them, or you will have all foliage and no tomatoes.

I disagree. If I don't fertilize from the beginning, I end up with plants whose foliage is insufficient to prevent cracking. Especially in hot climates, heavy foliage prevents large temperature changes in the tomatoes which is one factor in splitting. This has never caused issues for me with fruit setting.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

Shortly before Memorial Day, we had a hailstorm which left about a half inch of pea-size hail everywhere. Two weeks ago, we left on vacation, leaving a garden that was meticulously neat, tidy and weed free. We returned over the weekend to a lush carpet of purslane of prodigious size and vigorous health. I can only conclude from these events that at the heart of each hailstone was a purslane seed and that the frozen water surrounding the seed contained a significant quantity of Miracle Gro. I am hoping the county extension agent will come out and investigate this phenomenon.

Zucchini and cucumbers are producing nicely. Some green beans have been harvested. Lots of green tomatoes and one that looks like it will be dead ripe within next two days - that first one of the season gets attention like a pregnant woman at term. The greengage plums are slowly ripening. I am hoping to beat the wild critters to the best part of the harvest this year. I see baby avocados about half the size of a golf ball and there look to be quite a few. Our strangely cool and very rainy spring has not impeded growth too much. I only hope we do not get a heat wave anytime soon.

Here is the first little beauty I will pick this afternoon to be had with mayo and salt on toasted fresh baguette (Zoe F's 5 minute method). The plant was from a 4 pack of Early Girl and is planted in an old ceramic crock with poor drainage and looks pretty puny and unhealthy; however, it beat all the other plants :smile:

DSCN1040.JPG

Meanderer - LOL!!!

The entire garden is behind - due to weather, and my schedule both.

Its beautiful to look at, til you realize how closely crowded the plants are.

Except the corn - planted well spaced and barely showing thru the soil. Not gonna be knee high by the 4th of July, that's fer shure.

Neighbor made some mods to wall, and the sun is blocked a bit too much from my favorite patch for veg gardening.

One sunny lettuce bolted since Saturday. I will have to move the rhubarb pot to that spot.

The rhubarb is short, and scrawny and no longer has red stems. Can I still pick it and cook it?

Sparrowgrass, its basically "queen (co-een) aman" and its a rich sticky buttery laminated pastry.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.