• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me to identify this!

thonarkan

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

No!  Very interesting!   Thank you so much.

So, if I'm reading the chart right, my dishes were made in 1966 in the month of July?  We honestly thought these were a lot older than that.  

That's how it would seem, but I'm not so sure. According to this (http://www.robbinsnest.com/china/edwin-knowles/history.html) they ceased operations in 1962, so I don't see how your dishes can be from 1966. I don't really know much about this, I Googled it because the pattern is so nice, I wanted to learn more about it as well. Also I was looking for some dishes a while ago to complete a set that I remember using when we were growing up, purely nostalgic, and I was reading a bit about old China. (Mine are glass, not China, of the variety that people got in the supermarkets in the 1940s and 50s. But they're really nice. Emerald green glass.) If I find more about your dishes, I'll post it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cakewalk said:

That's how it would seem, but I'm not so sure. According to this (http://www.robbinsnest.com/china/edwin-knowles/history.html) they ceased operations in 1962, so I don't see how your dishes can be from 1966. I don't really know much about this, I Googled it because the pattern is so nice, I wanted to learn more about it as well. Also I was looking for some dishes a while ago to complete a set that I remember using when we were growing up, purely nostalgic, and I was reading a bit about old China. (Mine are glass, not China, of the variety that people got in the supermarkets in the 1940s and 50s. But they're really nice. Emerald green glass.) If I find more about your dishes, I'll post it.

Thank you!  Now I'm double interested to find out more about them.  I'm going to look at the backs of more of them to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that the numbers are 66-7.....but that wouldn't make sense like you said with them quitting earlier than that.

The mystery deepens.

Ok, I couldn't take it.  I just dug through all the china.  As much as I think the one bowl says 66-7, the others say either 44-6 or 44-7.  That seems more likely.

Platter

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.jpg

Bowl--just like the first one I posted 

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

So strange.

• Like 2

Semi-vitreous is tough stuff and withstands heat shock better than regular china or porcelain.

A lot of vitreous china was made for restaurant wear because it is so tough.  I have quite a lot of it and use it all the time.

I have almost a full set of the Knowles' "Country Life" pattern - Currier and Ives engravings blue and white - I think it's service for 12 - with a lot of extra cups and saucers.  The stuff is practically indestructible.

In the Northridge earthquake, I had it in a cabinet with glass shelves - shelves broke, dumped the china in the bottom and only lost a couple of plates one vegetable bowl and the lid to the sugar bowl.  Everything else survived without a chip.

• Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That's so lovely that you have all the sets!  I went to Replacements Ltd online to find out what the replacement value would have been for all of my great grandparent's china, and then my mother's Raymond Loewe set. I could not believe all the patterns they had on there!!!!    It was a starting place, at least.    For the actual value, I found a few sites online that will give you an actual value, if you pay them. Otherwise, Etsy and Ebay gave me a few ideas, too. HTH!

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

• 6 months later...

I have been handed down a unique cast iron skillet from my mom. She inherited it from my grandma, her mother. It is letter stamped but no maker mark. It's a 8" iron skillet with a finished inside. On the top of the handle it's stamped with a number 6. On the bottom of the handle and bottom edge of skillet, just under the handle is stamped with a capital "N". Just about 1" above the N on the bottom, is stamped with "8 INCH SKILLET". If anyone can help me with identifying the maker, I would most appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance, 

RobertIMG_20161217_184616.jpgIMG_20161217_184758.jpgIMG_20161217_184638.jpgIMG_20161217_184712.jpgIMG_20161217_184552.jpg

Looks like unmarked Wagner Ware.  I have a few from this particular vintage -- the modern font, and lack of MADE IN USA stamped on the bottom, suggests that the pan was made around the late 1950s to early 1960s.

https://www.google.com/search?q=identifying+unmarked+cast+iron

• Like 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

On 12/20/2016 at 3:17 PM, Joe Blowe said:

Looks like unmarked Wagner Ware.  I have a few from this particular vintage -- the modern font, and lack of MADE IN USA stamped on the bottom, suggests that the pan was made around the late 1950s to early 1960s.

It also suggests Wagnerware that was sold through Sears.

• Like 1

I am supprised @andiesenji has not chipped in here - she is a fountain of knowledge regarding these cast iron pans.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

On 12/20/2016 at 5:17 PM, Joe Blowe said:

Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards this as I had seen pics of Wagner skillets, but wanted further confirmation.

8 hours ago, rdmalcom said:

What marking suggests this? I'm just starting to learn markings. Been using cast iron for years but just now getting into collecting.

It's the lack of marking (and the knowledge that Wagner made unmarked pans like this for Sears)

• 11 months later...

Hello! My boyfriend recently bought this piece of (what he assumed was) Le Creuset for me off of Craigslist. He said the sellers seemed like honest folk and the piece looks authentic (to my untrained eye), but I've yet to find anything similar after some exhaustive Googling. I'm starting to think it's a fraud! Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks for reading!

E4F94D8D-0D7D-451C-9091-3296E84FBF8B.jpeg

C1ED5F54-03E3-46D9-A0F1-3972CBD987ED.jpeg

I have quite a few pieces of LC and, while, none are quite like yours, it looks pretty authentic to me.

why do you questions it?

can you weigh it?  That could be a clue.

Edited by lindag (log)

I only own one piece (inherited), but this looks pretty legit.  It looks like they offer both smooth enameled interiors and black enameled interiors.

We've just had an actual Le Creuset store open near us and I've been looking for a reason to go in.  If no one else has an answer, I'd be willing to take the question there.

I have never seen one with those raised lines in the interior of a pot but other than that it looks authentic. 

I would suggest that you email your photo to Le Creuset and ask them if they have any more information about this piece. 

Cool! Thanks! If anyone is interested, I actually emailed Le Creuset and they confirmed it is a real piece. They said, "Thanks for your recent inquiry. Your cookware is authentic and it’s one of Le Creuset’s older pieces. This item is called a Dutch Oven with a grill bottom in case you want to grill the meat first. This is a beautiful dish enjoy. Thanks for trusting Le Creuset of America." The mystery is solved! 

• Like 9

Does anyone know this brand? It is part of a serving set my parents picked up in Tokyo a few years ago. We are doing an inventory of items in the house, so specific information is appreciated. 

Thanks!

15136172193712491404580555739541.jpg

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.