• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Spain in May

The Food Doc

Hi everyone! I have made plans to go to Spain this May. I plan to stay at San Sebastian while I'm there, since most of the restaurants I want to go to are in the area (Berasetegui has already confirmed; still wiaitng for Arzak and Akelarre). Does any one know good yet inexpensive accomodations in the area? This may not be the proper forum for this, and I apologize in advance. Also, any other cities I should not miss while in Spain? Thanks!

If you are going to be based in San Sé, why not rent an apartment?

This way it is not only less expensive, but you also get a kitchen and can use the faaaaabulous markets there.

Last but not least, even for a food-obsessed city like San Sé, eating out for all the meals becomes tiring sooner or later. The best is to use the markets and get acquainted with local ingredients and cook simple meals, then go out to have better quality meals, eliminating the kind of "do" meals - in the sense of this'll-do.

And the second you have a kitchen and frequent the market, you suddenly find yourself truly entering the lifestyle and are no longer a tourist.

I stayed in San Sebastian for 8 days at the Hotel Astoria7, a boutique hotel built in an old theater building. As for eating, I ate pintxos all day everyday. Really only had 3 "sit down" meals. I found This website very helpful in navigating the pintxos landscape. Arzak was the best all around dining experience of my life. Here are my photo albums from the trip I am very jealous, I can't wait to go back!

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

• 3 months later...

Hello my fellow eGulleters! I am now enjoying the sunny weather here in San Sebastian, and gorging myself on pintxos. I also took a side trip to Bilbao, where I visited the Guggenheim Museum and had lunch at the well-received museum restaurant. I will be dining at Arzak, Martin Berasetegui, Akelarre and Mugaritz in the next few days. I do have a reservation at Can Fabes on Saturday, but I realized too late that Sant Celoni is located on the opposite side of Spain, which brings up both logistical and financial problems. I also feel like after the first four restaurants, it will be too much of a good thing to go to Can Fabes as well. I would like to ask my fellow eGulleters if I should stay put in San Sebastian and content myself with the restaurants in the area. Any advice concerning this dilemma will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by The Food Doc (log)

Fantastic! I'm doing the entire country over a month in July. Please keep us posted about what you liked and didn't like.

Do you think a trip to wine country is worthwhile? You'd have to rent a car, I think.