• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smokers 2011: The Topic

Chris Amirault

It's been a while since we've had an active smoker topic, and I imagine that there are some options -- purchased or built -- that are new since 2009. In addition, I've learned a few things about my Bradley that I thought I'd share here. Here it is, in all it's dusty, trusty glory:

DSC00010.JPG

One thing I've realized is that the exhaust vent at the top of the smoker will, after a while, condense liquid and drip that muck down onto meat. I put a little bowl up there now to avoid this problem. I've also been smoking a lot of things: today it's wings, brisket, cheese, a ham, and a few other things over a long cold day.

What sorts of set-ups do others have? Tips? Tricks? DIYs?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'm old school (and a wee bit cheap), thus all hot smoking is done on my Weber kettle. I did just pick up a ProQ cold smoke generator, and am eager to give it a whirl.

If memory serves me right, Chris, you've mentioned cold smoking items in other topics (and likely that cheese today). Are you doing that in the Bradley?

Here is a picture of my electric smoker. It's a 30 inch Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse. A couple of modifications are pictured, the first being a cold smoke generator and a vent stack is fitted with a small CPU fan which I sometimes use when making jerky. The MES can accept chips, small chunks and pellets for smoking.

CIMG6242.JPG

My trusty old WSM has served me well over the years. Ribs, chicken, turkey, sausage, salmon, duck and the famous butt have all turned out wonderfully. I know perfectly how to make it give me the smoke and temperatures I want. Without question, the best cooking device I have. On its own, it is not a cold smoker, but the hot plate on the bottom with a can of sawdust works for me. There are all sorts of modifications many have done. Not mine.

The WSM has not only given me great results but provided many happy days and nights of smoking as were documented on several of the old smoking topics here.

Even an old EG Blog about smoking from the days of yore.

The old reliable in the snow

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/1139739560/gallery_12506_1417_280884.jpg

Another user of the Original Bradley Smoker here. I recently purchased the Cold Smoke Adapter but have only had one occasion to use it so far this winter. It will undoubtably see some action this spring and summer, since I want to try my hand at making Lachs.

Other than replacing a faulty temperature control, my only DIY project was to make a rack from which to hang charcuterie goods.

My Bradley cold smoker adapter is still sealed in the box. The Big Green Egg is doing all my hot and cold smoking these days - nice not to have to pull it outside and plug it in. Somehow the plastic part under the door has gotten broken which has interfered with my listing the Bradley on Kijiji.

Did I miss something? How do you cold-smoke on a Big Green Egg?

Easy - peasy. You either use a can with chips and a soldering iron - or a rather simple but neat gadget called a Pro Q smoke generator as the source of cold smoke. The large BGE remains cool enough that you don't need to do anything to make it colder. The mini on the other hand - being a tad smaller - lets the inside get a little warm so you need to add ice so you don't end up with cheese that looks like this.

DSCN1411.jpg

Rico, I cold smoked brisket in the Green Egg. I have used both the A-Maze-N and the Pro-Q smoked generators but I prefer the A-Maze-N. I trim a packer, separate the point from the flat, and put both pieces in the Egg before applying any seasoning. For smoke I use a mixture of hickory and cherry. The A-Maze-N will generate smoke for 5 hours but I usually remove the brisket after 4 hours. After smoking, each piece is seasoned and independently vacuum packed. Next the bags go into the SV bath at 64c for 48 to 72 hours. When finished the brisket is chilled in an ice bath. Both cuts are eventually returned to the egg before serving. The point is cut up and cooked further as "burnt ends" and the flat is seared. The flat will not have a traditional bark but you wont have any complaints.

After having given up gas grilling for charcoal I quickly started smoking on a kettle. I found that it worked but was too fiddly for me so I got the trusty Weber Smokey Mountain. I love it. It seems overpriced until you get it and start smoking on it. Temp control couldn't be easier, works in all kinds of weather, makes a ton of food if you get the 22 inch. However, I now have a grill farm in the backyard so the next purchase will likely be a Primo XL which I hope will replace my grills and WSM. I got a Pro-Q at the end of summer and forgot about it until seeing this post. I need to get some salmon!

I started competing in KCBS competitions a couple of years ago around NY and NJ and we have had excellent results running 3 WSMs. That being said I am thinking of migrating to one of these as our need for capacity grows.

http://www.capitolbbq.com/products/Backwoods-Party-Smoker.html

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I'm thinking about getting a stove-top smoker, but am concerned about the potential health risks of smoked foods. Given how popular smokers seem to be, and how many different types of smoked food products you can buy in stores, I would expect that health concerns have been addressed or safe techniques have been worked out. What's the latest word on safe smoking? Is there a definitive reference/guide?

I started competing in KCBS competitions a couple of years ago around NY and NJ and we have had excellent results running 3 WSMs. That being said I am thinking of migrating to one of these as our need for capacity grows.

Mmmmmm, barbecue.

Maybe I judged you in CT if you did that event last summer!

Mmmmmm, barbecue.

Maybe I judged you in CT if you did that event last summer!

Haven't done any comps in CT yet. We've done the 3 in Jersey as well as Hudson Valley Ribfest in New Paltz (that one costs me alot since the wife insists on spending 3-4 days at Mohonk when we go)

Anyone who wants to learn more about smoking and good bbq should really go to a KCBS event, walk around and talk to the teams. We did this when we started competing and were surprised at how approachable and willing to share information about technique, etc people were. You can get a great amount info and meet some pretty nice people.

Keep an eye out for us next time you judge stop by and say hi...Smoke on the Water NJ.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I also have an Original Bradley Smoker. My latest projects have been Nova Lox, Polish Sausage, and yesterday I finished 13 pounds of Jalapeno Beef Sticks.

As long as it's still cold here I think I'll try smoked cheese next. I might need some for Modernist Mac and Cheese soon. :)

Chris, what cheeses, woods and smoking times have you had the best luck with? I'm thinking about doing some Cheddar and either Gouda or Fontina over Apple for around 2 hours. Does that sound doable?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry Lofthouse

I also have an Original Bradley Smoker. My latest projects have been Nova Lox, Polish Sausage, and yesterday I finished 13 pounds of Jalapeno Beef Sticks.

As long as it's still cold here I think I'll try smoked cheese next. I might need some for Modernist Mac and Cheese soon. :)

Chris, what cheeses, woods and smoking times have you had the best luck with? I'm thinking about doing some Cheddar and either Gouda or Fontina over Apple for around 2 hours. Does that sound doable?

Thanks,

Larry

I did some cheddar and some gouda last night in my BGE with the ProQ smoke generator. Used sugar maple - smoked about 3 1/2 hours.