• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

packaged smoked salmon

jayhay

Last weekend I defrosted an 85 gram package of thinly sliced, smoked salmon lox , (processed in Canada...reading off the pkg.) but ending up not using it. It came in a shrink-wrapped, well sealed package, so I'm wondering if I can still use it, or should I toss it. It does say on the package to use it within 3 days after opening, but I haven't opened it yet, only defrosted. What would you do?

Jayhay,

Since you haven't opened it and if it is shrink wrapped I would stick it back in the freezer. You may change the texture the next time you defrost(mushy).

I might puree or mince it and make it into some sort of spread or filling for an appetizer the next time you defrost. You'll know once you've tasted it.

If it is well sealed you shouldn't have any freezer burn to deal with.

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking