• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The joy of cheap Asian sucking candies

Fat Guy

A while back, I asked for -- and received -- help identifying a mystery Asian sucking candy (it turned out to be guava-flavored). Since then, I've been more and more interested in Asian sucking candies. Pricewise, they make a mockery of the other sucking candies in the marketplace, and their flavors tend to be more interesting.

Are you an Asian-sucking-candy enthusiast? Any wit and wisdom to share?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Got a big bag of sour plum hard candies in my office drawer. It's a sour-salty dried plum in the middle of a hard candy (maltose, I think). The candy is about the size of a large cherry. It takes a while to get to the plum in the middle, but it's got an interesting sweet-sour-salty flavour and it's fun to work the plum around in your mouth and nibble out the plummy bits (taking care not to crack a tooth on the pit).

A while back, I asked for -- and received -- help identifying a mystery Asian sucking candy (it turned out to be guava-flavored). Since then, I've been more and more interested in Asian sucking candies. Pricewise, they make a mockery of the other sucking candies in the marketplace, and their flavors tend to be more interesting.

Are you an Asian-sucking-candy enthusiast? Any wit and wisdom to share?

And my question, which was tacked onto Fat Guy's question remains unsolved: my mystery Chinese candy, which IS NOT White Rabbit candy, which I have both eaten and made, but rather tastes of roasted sesame oil.

I have not seen it since and our local Asian market man cannot identify it either.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.