• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Murgh Sholay Kebab

pastameshugana

Okay,

My wife/kids and I lived in Bangalore for 2.5 years, and one of the dishes we fell in love with that I've yet to be able to reproduce was called chicken sholay kebab. I've googled like crazy and can't find anything like what we had. I know each region/restaurant puts their own spin on things, so we were (obviously) in Bangalore, the restaurant was a small chain called Nandhini's, which purported to be an Andhra-style house.

The kebabs were red in color, seemed to me they were fried. The red was a ground paste of spices that was fried onto the chicken. They were plated with a handful of fresh curry leaves.

The flavor was a mild spiciness, with all the richness of mixed spices, and a bit of a garlicky hit.

Has anyone seen a dish like this - have any ideas on how to start?

Thanks in advance!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I had this when I visited a Nandhini last year. Having looked around, the closest approximation I can find is this http://en.petitchef.com/recipes/chicken-dry-fry-fid-262426 but you'd want to use Kashmiri chilli powder instead of ordinary chilli powder for the colour (and to not blow your head off).

There are some recipes specifically for chicken sholay kababs on the web, but they are in Urdu; which is no help to either of us.

Itinerant winemaker

Follow me on Twitter

. . . .

There are some recipes specifically for chicken sholay kababs on the web, but they are in Urdu; which is no help to either of us.

If you do find a recipe in Urdu, you can plug it into an online translator such as babylon. Sometimes what you get from these things is utter gibberish, but worst case scenario, you get a laugh.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 8 months later...

If it looks like the image at nandhini - mutton masala, chicken sholay kabab (chances are you may have posted the pic), then it might be similar to Chicken 65 - http://www.google.com/search?q=chicken+65&hl=en&prmd=imvnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=NKKuTuDXG8rlrAe6t4jPDA&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=667&sei=%20SqKuTrziEILWrQfTyoXDDA

Recipe for Chicken 65 - http://www.vahrehvah.com/Chicken+65:3560

Edited by percyn (log)

Goodness - I could cry!

That's it exactly - thank you so much!

This is one of those 'memory' dishes for our family. I can't count the number of times one of the kids has mentioned it, wishing we could have it.

Thanks again - I owe you one!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting