• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream of [?] Soups

DanM

I love Mexican corn soup, which is essentially a cream soup (although made with milk) and can be made successfully with frozen, pureed corn.

I've been making a corn soup in my Blendtec or Vitamix which is nothing more than frozen corn, chicken base, sauteed onions and celery, a 1/4 tsp of chipotle paste which I make up and cilantro. People swear it has cream in it. Not a drop

I'd love a recipe for cream of garlic soup, if somebody has a favorite!

As for truffle oil, be careful what you buy, most of the ones you can find in stores never saw a truffle, but simply have artificial taste added. I stay far way from those. The stuff can also get overpowering very quickly.

That spring garlic soup sounds great! Probably already too late in the season here, and I'd stay far away from "fat free half and half", but I'll have to try that sometime!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

It's only the genetic high cholesterol issues that make me choose the fat free half and half. I get my dose of animal fat and all the evils it brings with the healthy dose of butter I saute the veggies in when making "cream" soups. It still tastes good and I can eat the soup with abandon without having to double dose on the statins the next morning.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 year later...

I have a few recipes that I use for pot lucks, picnics, and the like, which call for the addition of condensed Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery soup. The soups are pretty starchy and loaded with low quality items. Any ideas on how to make a home made version that has a similar (not necessarily the same) consistancy but with, perhaps, some more flavor. Thanks!

... Shel

What I do (because I do this quite a bit) is to cook a cream soup the normal way, then remove about 1/2 of that and thicken it with a butter roux until it gets to the right consistency, and repeat for the other half.

Alternately, you can make a regular cream soup, then add about 4 tbsp of cornstarch in cold water and keep cooking until it thickens. I don't like this method as much, because (to my palate at least) you lose the fullness of the flavour.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

A few days ago, I made Tuna Pasta Casserole. Lacking condensed cream of mushroom soup.I started by slowly cooking finely diced celery and onion in butter. When semi tender,I added flour, then chicken stock and "Nido", a Mexican brand of powdered full fat milk, and a really excellent product. Seasonings of the cream sauce included dry white wine, pimentón de La Vera, white pepper and perhaps more.

I assembled the casserole in layers (I also was using albacore tuna) and topped it with buttered bread crumbs and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. In 30 minutes, it was ready. It was quite delicious and we never missed the mushrooms.

Edited by Panosmex (log)
Buen provecho, Panosmex

[...] Lacking condensed cream of mushroom soup.I started by slowly cooking finely diced celery and onion in butter. When semi tender,I added flour, then chicken stock and "Nido", a Mexican brand of powdered full fat milk, and a really excellent product. Seasonings of the cream sauce included dry white wine, pimentón de La Vera, white pepper and perhaps more.

Much more interesting than the recipes I've seen on the web. Thanks ... this one seems worth trying and has given me a few ideas. Thanks!

... Shel