• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Last Drink

So: it's dead man (or woman) walking time. You've got your meal all planned out, but the prison warden, a cocktail fiend, says, "You'll want a drink with that, won'tcha?"

So what'll it be? Your last drink.

I'm still thinking, but leaning Martinez. You?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

A glass of Madeira, Boal for preference.

Edit: I realize it isn't a cocktail, but the only cocktails I've ever had have been G&Ts, and erm, well... Shirley Temples (when I was kid; not recently); neither is really is what I'd want when I'm about to be strapped to a post and shot at. Perhaps pounding a slug of overproofed rum would be the way to go, but I wouldn't really enjoy it.

Edited by Mjx (log)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

So I'm thinking here...by drink I assume you mean distilled spirits here. And much as the prison system wouldn't go for making you some Tournedos Rossini, would this ultimate cocktail have to be made with more or less rail-level stuff? Or are we walking to a white collar chair where the Warden's bar is stocked with Martell Cordon Bleu, Handy Rye, Jade Edouard? Or better yet, is the warden John Deragon, with a hoard of defunct goodies?

What are the parameters here?

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

A huge slug of Islay with a Champagne chaser. (Can't I be lying in bed surrounded by family, friends and Rafael Nadal, instead of Death Row accomodations?)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

A 6%, 70 IBU dry India Pale Ale. Preferably one of my own brews. If that means I get an extra 30 days to concoct my last beer, bonus.

Live by the barleycorn, die by the barleycorn.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Goodness: all so rule-bound, even in death.

I'm fine with the scenario. If there's ever a time a good drink would come in handy, that would be it. My problem isn't the fact that I'm off to the gallows, it's that I don't know what I'd want that one last drink to be. I'll have to think on it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tanquery #10 martini, not too dry, with 2 olives. Followed by several good chugs of Dom Perignon or Cristal. The former is a regular in my rotation. The latter, not so much.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I'll take a full-size bowl of Admiral Russell's Christmas Punch, all 1200 gallons of it.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

1200 gallons of punch would go perfectly with that last meal of all you can eat wings and a bottomless pot of coffee.

How about a vertical of Stagg? ...by the time you took that 11th shot you wouldn't feel a thing.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour