• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Odd Bits" by Jennifer McLagan

andiesenji

Today's email from Leite's Culinaria was headed with a note about "The Fat Lady" and clicking on Fat Lady took me to Jennifer's Blog.

Heading it is the post about her new cookbook coming out in September.

For those who do love "The Rest of the Animal" this looks to be a great addition to a cook's library.

I discovered that I have other books by this author.

I've long been a proponent of "natural" fats (as have many others in this forum) and I'm surprised I had forgotten the "Fat" cookbook, which I purchased some two years ago and managed to shuffle aside with a stack of others books acquired about the same time.

I also have "Bones" and found it after reading about roasted marrow bones in another thread on this forum.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 year later...

I just got Odd Bits the other day, I have heard about Jennifer's previous books in the past but this is the first one I have purchased. Overall impressions are great, well presented and well written with lots of interesting recipes! Looking forward to trying many of them. Will report back when I have done so!

Has anyone else who has gotten the book tried any of the recipes yet?

I also blogged on the book: http://www.roryhart.net/books/odd-bits-jennifer-mclagan/

Funny you should bring this up: I just made the lamb neck with quinces and turnips yesterday, though I had to substitute apples for quinces. I braised it yesterday, then let it cool and chilled it overnight. I'll probably finish it and eat it either tonight or tomorrow.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Hi!

I've already cooked quite a bit from Obb bits, infact all the notes in Eatyourbooks regarding the book seems to be mine :biggrin:

here

If anybody is interested in starting a "cooking with Odd Bits" would be nice. I'm also cooking from Fifth Quarter and Nose to tail so I wouldn't mind an "odd bits" including other books.

So far I made

-Lamb neck with quinces twice

-Peruvian heart kekabs twice

-Morrocan style braised heart

-Heart salad

-Tamarind glazed ribs

-Spiced lamb shanks with gingered lentils

-tongue with salsa verde (but that is a classic in my house)

-Rillons

-rillons endive and apples

I think she did a great job. Very well written, well tested recipes. I'm a fan.

I've also prepared the spiced lamb shanks with gingered lentils - I had some lamb shanks and I'm not a huge fan of lamb but the flavor was sufficiently modified by the spices that I liked it.

I didn't have any red lentils on hand so used belugas and they were lovely.

I've also prepared the Rillons - pork at its best!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I won't get to cook out of it for a couple of weeks, I am putting on a Modernist Cuisine dinner so all my extra cooking time is going into that at the moment. But once I do I'd love to contribute to a "Cooking with" thread.