• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adriano Zumba Macaroon Madness

Luke

Did anyone just see the documentary on SBS about Adriano Zumba and his Macaroons! That was insane.

Apart from the 68 flavours including "Pigs Blood with Chocolate" and "Hamburger", 30,000 macaroons for macaroon day with people walking out of his shop spending $250 dollars in one hit....I mean I like my macaroons too, but $250??

Looking forward to the next part which will be screened next week....

Luke

I'd have described it more as a promotional vehicle than a documentary. The money people will pay for macarons is phenomenal (I find it harder to spend in $$ than €€ cos I can see how much I'm really spending;) )

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

I tried, it's blocked for Sweden.

A proxy would solve this problem, anyone ??

/gilius

To be honest, I think you'd be better expending time/energy on something else. There was nothing enlightening in the show regarding macaron making OR about creating these novel flavours (beyond using a small blob of pig's blood jelly ganache for one, and infusing milk in some way with chopped up hamburgers, then incorporating that into a white chocolate ganache). No recipes, no technique other than titillating visuals.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the Adriano show and the second one last week. I don't think the idea is to teach people how to make anything - it's more about how a very good pastry chef comes up with his ideas, runs his business and what goes on in the kitchen. I do find it interesting because my impression so far is that not many pastry chefs would work like this.