• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beverage Journals/Publications ?

Dillon Burke

Hello, and to get the formal introduction out of the way - I'm Dillon. Currently a Junior at Johnson & Wales in Providence and a willing spirit knowledge sponge-like brain. eGullet is incredible.

I am looking to break into the world of beverage marketing sometime in the next few years. In an attempt to be ahead of the game I've recently been trying to gather and broaden my beverage knowledge base. I am specifically looking for sources (aside from eGullet, though the information here is incredibly helpful) whether they be magazines, email blasts etc that contain validated and beneficial info on innovating, interesting and historical beverages.

All help appreciate.

Cheers eGullet

Dillon

Welcome to eG Dillon,

"Innovating, interesting and historical beverages" cuts a wide swath across current beverage writing. Are there particular aspects of or types of beverages you're interested in? It might help us narrow down the options some.

Off the top of my head, you'll definitely want to look into Imbibe Magazine, certainly the foremost serial publication in the cocktail realm (although it covers a broad range of beverages). Honestly though, a lot of information transfer these days happens in the blogosphere, so a good bet is to find a couple sites you like and check out their blog rolls. There are also print publications and online forums devoted to the subject of spirits proper (as opposed to cocktails), but I'll leave it to others to comment on those.

Thanks for the reply and welcoming Vince. Further insight into exactly what i'm looking for (though i feel a bit picky) would be predominantly information on beverage "trends" though also entertaining me with classics and beverage history.

I realize now that i will not be able to obtain what i want from a single publication whether it be blog or magazine. Though the goal i am striving for would be to educate myself in my academic downtime.

I tend to get picky and hold high criteria with my expectations but any suggestions are welcomed.

If you want to be entertained regarding the classics with a good deal of history, you should pick up the books of David Wondrich (eGullet member Splificator), specifically Imbibe! and Punch.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Feel free to browse through my obsessive collections of links and newsfeeds at Spirits Review.com (4500 links, about 400 RSS feeds)

Also check the Spirits Journal by Paul Pacult (print editions)

Good Luck!

Chris

The Pleasures of Exile are Imperfect at Best, At Worst They Rot the Liver.

Spirits Review.com

Paulo Freitas

Bartender @ Bar do Copa (Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro - Brazil)

http://www.bardocopa.com.br