• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a good slider bun recipe

Paul Bacino

Paul, I have 2 slider bun recipes. I use the first one if I am going to toast the buns, I use the second one if I am not going to toast the buns.

Slider Buns for Toasting

3 1/4 c bread flour

2 T sugar

1 t salt

1 T dry active yeast

1 c warm water

2 T softened butter

1 egg

Knead until smooth. Double in volume. Shape into balls (1.5-2 oz) on parchment, flatten them a bit. Cover, double in size, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 375F for 15-20 min. This bun is just a bit like Hawaiian bread.

Slider Bun

4 c bread flour

1 t salt

1 T dry active yeast

2 T olive oil

1.75 c warm water

Same directions as the last recipe. This one is a little chewier and holds up better if it's not toasted.

Secret message: When I am in a bind I buy a bag of the Orowheat potato dinner buns at Costco. They are the right size, texture and flavor. Please don't tell anyone.

I've made this recipe from Gourmet 2008 a number of times now, and it's become my standard recipe for burger or hot dog buns or parker house rolls, and it would be fine for lobster rolls as well--

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Hamburger-Buns-242614