• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yuzu truffles?

mkayahara

My partner and I have been on a truffle-making kick lately, having made both the Dark and Stormies and orange butter ganache truffles from Greweling in the past two weeks. For our next trick, we've been thinking about yuzu truffles... I have a couple of bottles of yuzu juice, and some frozen yuzu zest, but no real idea how to proceed. Has anyone worked with yuzu and chocolate before? Thoughts on dark vs. milk vs. white chocolate? How about approach: we've been thinking about infusing cream with the zest, and then using that in the ganache, but we're not 100% sure. Thanks for any help!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

You could use it in place of passion fruit in a lot of recipes, you may just have to cut it down a little. I like milk chocolate with lemon and lime flavors personally. White is too cloying and dark, although usually my preference, does something with lemon that always strikes me as a little off as a combination.

Reb

The thought has crossed my mind of candying peel, then grating (microplane-ing) it and incorporating that.

Having just made some chocolate-dipped candied citrus peel - the meyer lemon dipped in dark chocolate definitely did something off, where grapefruit was pretty good.

Infusing the zest into cream is a very good way to go. I've done it with white chocolate ganache (think Dream-sickles) and the only thing to remember is that there's more white chocolate in the mix, almost twice as much as dark depending on the brand, so the flavor in the cream needs to be fairly strong.

Another way to go would be to get oils from the peel by infusing in grain alcohol for a few days, then strain and allow the alcohol to evaporate off. You'll be left with yuzu oil which can be added to chocolate when melted during tempering. This allows you to make a flavored tempered dark chocolate which could be anything from a simple shape to a shell for a truffle of contrasting flavor.

I'd go with using the zest to give you the bouquet, and then, if you want a little of the acidity that you expect with citrus, a scant sprinkle of citric acid crystals over the ganache just before slicing and rolling it (or, mix it in just before pouring, if you're using moulds) gives tiny, subtle, discrete (citric acid is water soluable, so it doesn't dissolve in the chocolate) flecks of tartness, and doesn't conflict with the chocolate, the way juices sometimes do.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input in this thread. My partner ended up making the yuzu truffles a couple of weeks ago, by simply modifying the lemon logs from Greweling's pro book. It's a white chocolate ganache with both yuzu juice and zest, piped out, cut, and enrobed in dark chocolate. He felt they were the best truffles he's made yet! There are still a couple left, so I'll try to take a photo of them to share.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara