• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brands of commercially produced yogurt we love

Fat Guy

What I like about the strawberry-rhubarb Noosa is the tartness that is added with the rhubarb, which does help to cut the sweetness I find. I don't normally eat sweetened yogourt at all but do love the creaminess of Noosa I admit. However, it is very unlikely I will find it back here in Nova Scotia so I guess it will be just a southern, twice a year treat for me from now on.

Thanks for the comment about the watery-ness of Liberte now, Darienne - haven't bought any in a while so will be aware next time I am in town for groceries. Greek yogourt should not be watery in my opinion - seems a bit shady to me to try to get us to pay extra for less actual product in the container. No real brand loyalty here - if companies continue to mess with consumers I will switch in a heartbeat, and pay more if I have to for a more honest, better product.

We had Fage around here once but I can't find it anymore. Bummer.    So, Greek Gods - Full Fat- Honey Vanilla.  Great with granola.    I also use it for the kids' smoothies,  esp before my daughter heads off to the slopes.  I swear that stuff keeps her satisfied and full of energy.

Finding it with full fat is sometimes a challenge.  Wallyworld is about the only place around here that provides that option. Everywhere else it's either no fat or low fat.   Blah.

I got desperate once, and made my own. Got half gal of raw milk, (1/4 was cream!), followed the directions, and 24 hours later--- I was completely amazed. If I only had the time to mess with that every week!

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

We had Fage around here once but I can't find it anymore. Bummer.    So, Greek Gods - Full Fat- Honey Vanilla.  Great with granola.    I also use it for the kids' smoothies,  esp before my daughter heads off to the slopes.  I swear that stuff keeps her satisfied and full of energy.

Finding it with full fat is sometimes a challenge.  Wallyworld is about the only place around here that provides that option. Everywhere else it's either no fat or low fat.   Blah.

I got desperate once, and made my own. Got half gal of raw milk, (1/4 was cream!), followed the directions, and 24 hours later--- I was completely amazed. If I only had the time to mess with that every week!

Costco has the Greek Gods Full fat here (not every time I'm there though).  I freeze dried it and it was wonderful in a bark.  

• Like 1

Kerry,

Sadly, we don't have a Costco (or a Sam's club, or a Trader Joe's) anywhere in this area.  In fact, I don't believe any exist in the entire upper peninsula of Michigan. So, for that kind of stuff, I'd have to drive a couple hundred miles to Appleton or Green Bay. :sad:   

So, to freeze dry it, how would you mix it in the bark?  It sounds absolutely amazing!    Mmmmmmmm. :smile:

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Have to post another vote for Noosa yogurt! It is very creamy.  I normally don't like fruit-flavored based yogurts, but I really enjoy the tartness of the Noosa's lemon yogurt. I eat that for lunch topped with walnuts. The cherry flavor I found too sweet and for some reason my grocery store doesn't carry plain. 

So many suggestions for Trader Joe's Greek yogurt! I'll have to give that a try! 

I used Valio lactose free over here, it is really creamy and lovely.  And a few months ago they  two companies  who make great  Turkish and Greek yoghurt came out with a  lactose free version, woho!.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Here in Cheltenham, England i buy a Kilo pot,  Milbona (Lidl own brand) full cream and Greek style. It has a good shelf life and costs only £1.20. It is delicious.

I read recently that full fat natural Yogurt is not as fattening as semi-skimmed.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Not available in this part of New York State.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Those of you in New York State or nearby, seek out Ronnybrook Farms yogurt. 

Not available in my part of NY either. I think they must be another of those downstate-only things.

I love Wake Robin Farm's yogurt, but since they decided not to sell at area Wegmans stores anymore because they couldn't meet production (12 Jersey cows at the farm, according to their website), it's become an even more special treat.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

• 3 years later...

*bump* For a while I was making my own yogurt, then went off the idea and went back to my favorites: Chobani and/or Fage. Now, I have a new favorite:

20181121_100817.jpg

This is very thick yogurt, and not as tart as some. I was through the container before I realized/remembered that it was fat-free. It has the same rich mouthfeel as a full-fat yoghurt. I picked up one container as a test; I'll be looking for more.

As a side note: I'm amused by the Yank fascination with Aussies. This yogurt is simply another example. In case you can't read it, here's the fine print on the back:

Founded in California. Inspired by Australia. What makes us Aussie? www.wallabyyogurt.com

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Most recently I have been favoring Oomda.  Non-homogenized Halal whole milk yogurt.  Good stuff.  Once you get past the "CONTAINS MILK" warning.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 years later...

I know that this thread is ancient, but I see that a lot of people liked the Liberte yogurt. I did too.  It seems to have disappeared from the market.  I'm going to try out some of the other brands recommended here. Previously I found there were a lot of yogurts that were chalky, some that were very liquid, and some with a "gooey" texture. All of those turned me off.

Just now, dans said:

I know that this thread is ancient, but I see that a lot of people liked the Liberte yogurt. I did too.  It seems to have disappeared from the market.  I'm going to try out some of the other brands recommended here. Previously I found there were a lot of yogurts that were chalky, some that were very liquid, and some with a "gooey" texture. All of those turned me off.

Not sure where you live but we can get Liberte here in Canada quite readily. I bought the 9% small containers the other day - and I see the larger ones are available as well. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I always keep a container of plain full fat (low fat if full sold out) from Mountain High  - distributed by General Mills. I started using it last year in many savory dishes. Perfect texture and tartness level for my taste.,

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Another Siggi's fan here. We buy the plain full fat. My only complaint is they don't seem to market a pint container, so it's either a quart or the teeny personal size.  So very rich and good.

The full fat, in all its guises, is great. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 8/18/2023 at 8:18 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Not sure where you live but we can get Liberte here in Canada quite readily. I bought the 9% small containers the other day - and I see the larger ones are available as well. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It is a Canadian brand. I don't know if it is manufactured here in the states or just imported/distributed. When I did a check on their web site, the nearest store was about 20 miles away.  Not very convenient - if they have it evn.