• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brands of commercially produced yogurt we love

Fat Guy

Right now my two favorite commercially produced yogurt products are:

Chobani. I think Chobani has raised the bar for yogurt, and I enjoy most every flavor.

Trader Joe's "European style." This almost-liquid yogurt has a brilliant tang to it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I feel lucky to have access to both Yoplait AND Dannon here! And actually, the new-ish Yoplait "Greek-style" is OK. Much better than the Dannon version of the same, even in a smoothie.

Do you have Target (with groceries), Costco, or Sam's Club there? All three tend to carry Chobani yogurt.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Are you talking about flavored sweetened yogurt, or plain, or both?

I buy plain, whole milk yogurt, mostly to use in recipes, although I also mix it with fruit for breakfast. For cooking, I don't always want the thicker texture of Greek-style yogurt, so I buy regular Dannon. It's got a good level of acidity, is relatively inexpensive, and performs well in recipes.

I'm talking about either, though Chobani makes both.

I also enjoy Chobani. Fage is also a good Greek style. When it can be found - whole milk Stonyfield farms is very yummy - but unfortunately is hard to find and generally if found I can only find strawberry or vanilla.

I also like the Stonyfield smoothies - my "go to" when I am on antibiotics and want to up the live cultures in my body.

Takes me 15 minutes to make a quart of yogurt from a half gallon of milk - that's $1.69 plus a little labor, electricity, and cheesecloth (until I switch to washable fabric.) It takes the yogurt 7 hours to cook on an old heating pad and maybe another hour to strain (if I want it thick.) Beats anything I've tried from the store. Just part of the routine now. And we don't have to recycle all those tubs. Last bought some live culture yogurt in September I think. Oikos (Stonyfield Farms), maybe?

I love Stonyfield's whole milk, cream on top yogurt. Just plain, straight out of the container is so good.

I thought I'd like that, but found it really strange. The cream didn't stir in as I expected; instead, it was like little pieces of butter in yogurt. Maybe I got a bad batch.

I love Stonyfield's whole milk, cream on top yogurt. Just plain, straight out of the container is so good.

I thought I'd like that, but found it really strange. The cream didn't stir in as I expected; instead, it was like little pieces of butter in yogurt. Maybe I got a bad batch.

The cream at the top is usually solid-ish, so to make it mix in smoothly, you have to first work it about at the surface, until it's fairly fluid, then it mixes in nicely.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 3 weeks later...

The Wife® and I tried the Chobani low fat and thought it was pretty good but all we can find now is the 0% stuff. For us, that's "Meh, why bother?" stuff.

It's not widely available here but we really like the Greek Gods brand. The traditional flavor really steps her tzatziki up a couple of notches.

Chobani 2 percent yogurt seems to be an elusive product here as well. I only ever see the non-fat. So for now, I'm very happy with the 2 percent Fage. I think the whole milk Fage is a pretty convincing imposter when it comes to sour cream.

Another interesting yogurt comes from Old Chatham Sheepherding Co, and that's probably easier to get for you on the east coast. Yes, it is sheep's milk, and I think the plain is delicious. Maple isn't bad, but I don't usually buy flavored yogurt. Old Chatham actually tastes like the yogurt I had in Greece--more than either Chobani or Fage does--so I suspect that what I had in Crete was a sheep's milk product.

Liberte Mediterranee, dulce de leche and lemon flavours. Gotta love 8% milk fat.

Another Liberte lover here! Tried the blackberry flavour first, now I'm hooked. Chobani isn't bad, but doesn't have a patch on the Liberte brand, and Liberte is far less expensive where I shop; $.80 vs about 1.33 for Chobani. (Publix markets in south Florida)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I rarely buy commercial yogurt but when I do, I only buy Trader Joe's Greek Style.

It has an incredibly long life in the fridge after it's sell by date, as long as it is not opened.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie, I feel the same way about the TJ's Greek yogurt. It's so superior in things like raita and other applications where you want thick and creamy. It doesn't break down and get runny, and you don't have to fool around with draining it to get that thick consistency. And the flavor is outstanding. I've noticed it stays fresher, longer, as well. It's a good product.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

hey! me too! loving the TJs. especially since it has the live cultures, which not all commercial yogurts do. it is fabulous with homemade granola, mixed with peanut butter and some chopped banana, or you know what? just making my own flavors of yogurt. i have even used it to make froyo! (maple syrup and/or black berries) my mom advocates the the whole fat voskos, which is delicious, but occasionally too rich for my "casual" snacking habits.